Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noisy DreamStation
RE: Noisy Dream Station
I know what you mean about noise with the dream station.  Do you sound like "Darth Vader" every time you breath?   I have had a CPAP machine for over 10 -15 years and have been very happy with the machines until the latest one.  I was given a dream station which is by Phillips same as my older machines with the same pressure settings as my old one.  The machine is quite but the issue seems to be in the airflow.  Everytime you breath it sounds like "Darth Vader",  It is very loud and it keeps me awake as well as my wife.   My solution so far has been to stop using it and go back to one of my older machines.  I don't use the humidifiers on any of my machines.  If someone has any idea's please let me know.  Good machine just too noisy!  I need to travel with the machine so attaching the humidifer is not a good option.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Noisy DreamStation
I just got a new Phillips dreamstation. 

It had a buzzing sound coming from within the main part of the machine when I first turned it on. For a few minutes, it was only evident when I exhaled, but then it was on both inhale and exhale. After about 30 minutes I turned the machine off. It was too annoying to sleep. It almost sounded as if a fly, or bee, was buzzing around in the machine! I would describe it as sounding like a bearing in a motor that was under stress, almost like a buzzing sound, or like that of a computer hard drive. (Note that I had the humidifier attached and full of water). My pressure setting is 5-15, and again, this was a brand new machine.

I took this new dreamstation back to the distributor for a warranty exchange. I received a 2nd Dreamstation.
It is about half as noisy, I did sleep through the night with it. But it is not as quiet as I am used to with my old CPAP machine.

My old machine was also a Phillips, but was a SYSTEM ONE CPAP. It was whisper quiet. THe new DreamStation is not as quiet.

I am thinking about exchanging the Dreamstatino for the RESMED System 10, to see if it is quieter.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2017, 06:09 PM)mnalep Wrote: CORRECTION: I am thinking about exchanging the Dreamstation for the Resmed AIRSENSE 10, to see if it is quieter.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you connected the humidifier ??
Post Reply Post Reply
In my experience (with 2 different DreamStations, and 1 ResMed), the ResMed is significantly quieter.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know about the APAP's but I've used both the ResMed VAUTO and DreamStation Auto Bipap and they both were very quiet.
It sounds like vibration noise off of where ever your placing the machine. Try putting a towel under it and see if that takes care of the sound.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Removing the disposable filter made mine quieter.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been a CPAP user for over 15 years. I had to get a new machine due to obsolescence of my original machine. The only machine my provider carries is the DeamStation. I am very disappointed with the humidifier on this new machine. For a large percentage of the time the humidifier makes a high pitched whine. I assume it is some kind of air leak. I know it is coming from the humidifier because if i connect directly to the CPAP I don't hear this noise. The noise is loud enough that it wakes my wife up and keeps me from sleeping. I returned the unit to my devise supplier. They confirmed the noise and replaced the humidifier yesterday. The new humidifier worked fine for about the first hour but then it too developed the whine. The representative at the my supplier said they have heard the complaint from other clients, so I assume this is a generic problem with this machine. I have also seen some similar complaints of this nature on the web. I feel stuck with this device. I was going to change suppliers and get a different brand of machine but Medicare says I have to redo my sleep study, which was just done a month ago if I change machine brands. I'm on fixed income and don't want to have to pay for another sleep study. So I guess at this point my lease expensive option is to purchase a different brand machine out of pocket. I'm thinking ResMed since my original machine was quiet and provided good service.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if this will help but I'll tell you how I handled it. I had a l loud squeal that would come from the base of the hose connection on top of the humidifier. I tried replacing the rubber seal on the humidifier door but the problem continued. Finally I found if I could hold the hose so it didn't pull on the hose connection it wouldn't make any sound. So now I put a small loop in the hose and hold in in place by holding it in the top drawer of the night stand. Just make sure there's enough slack in the hose so it doesn't pull on the connection.

Hopefully that might work for you.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I got a dream station in March with no humidifier and it was quiet for 9 months then air rushing sound from mask was too loud for me to sleep. I got a humidifier and that made it quiet for about 6 nights then a loud groaning sound on inhale was too loud for me to sleep. Took it in for possible exchange and new machine was louder! I Used my previous CPAP for a week, then tried dream station again and now it was quiet again, but groaning sound came back after 6 nights! I’ll give it one more try including taking out the disposable filter. My DME supplier also carries ResMed Airsense  10 so I may be able to swap for that one if it seems quieter.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [How to] Fix Your Own Noisy CPAP - Don't discard old CPAP with worn bearings SuperSleeper 3 16,869 04-15-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: PinehillJoe
  Noisy nasal pillows? justinfreeman 7 1,483 09-28-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Noisy Fans in New CPAPs stevew77 0 422 09-28-2023, 06:11 PM
Last Post: stevew77
Question [CPAP] BREAS Z2 very noisy at mask WWinNJ 3 1,500 07-31-2023, 10:51 PM
Last Post: PHXSleeper
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,785 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,581 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  ResMed Noisy (Pnuematic Block) Replacement 3rdMarDiv 17 6,690 11-10-2021, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.