Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Staph Infection in Nose:
Staph Infection in Nose:
My mother (77yo) has a staph infection in her nose, she's on cpap treatment, uses distilled water in the humidifier tank and my father washes the hose and humidifier chamber every month or so, I'm wondering if it could be caused by her CPAP or not?   I have been using mine for 7 years and have not had an issue like this..

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Staph Infection in Nose:
Anything is possible, but unless she loaned her equipment to someone with a staph infection, it's unlikely. The staphylococcus bacterium is present on a widespread basis on most of us, but is not normally infectious unless it enters a wound on the skin. That could happen with a CPAP mask, or pillows, if abrasion or any wound is present from another source. Staph infections are contagious and can be spread by toothbrushes, towels, coughs, sneezes or close skin contact. It's going to be really hard to identify a source or cause. It might be a good idea to up the cleaning game with an anti-bacterial like Control III during the infection. Be aware that anyone handling her equipment is especially vulnerable and need to use a disinfecting hand cleaner if a disinfectant is not used in the equipment washing process.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider, I will relay this.
Post Reply Post Reply
20-30% of the population carry Staph. aureus in their noses and are generally asymptomatic. Your mom may be such a carrier and developed the infection due to some type of abrasion. It's unlikely she got it from her CPAP. Is she being treated with an antibiotic?
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
She is going on antibiotics tomorrow as it's a five day treatment they want her on before she goes in for surgery.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had staph in my nose and my primary doctor prescribed mupirocin which is like vaseline.  Used it in each nostril 4 times a day and was fine within a few days.  Now I apply,y it only several times a week.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Safe to enlarge nose holes on Resmed f30 Jbpl1976 3 121 04-25-2024, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Jbpl1976
  Pimples inside nose cam 6 5,606 04-25-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anyone else have trouble breathing through their nose when sleeping? POOKISTAN 7 243 04-23-2024, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Hybrid Masks more comfortable than over the nose FF mask? sleepingbetterinFl 6 218 04-20-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: cps22
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 357 04-19-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: jake79
  Dripping Nose Lesley19 3 146 04-10-2024, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Lesley19
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,967 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.