Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Still Sleepy?
Still Sleepy?
Hello! I’ve been diligently using my CPAP, and honestly it’s probably helped, but I’m still very sleepy all the time. I’ve been diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome, so some of that may just be how it is, but CFS has no treatments, so I absolutely want to do everything I can to treat everything else. I use my cpap every time I sleep excluding a nap every now and then, and I have been using it for about two months. My AHI according to myAir is consistently below one, though I have still been struggling with leaking. Any suggested next steps?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Still Sleepy?
I can see that the pressure you are using is too low for adults.  You need to increase your low pressure setting to 7.  Also, if you download Oscar and post your daily results we can offer you lots more help.

Also, Welcome
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the response! Is there a point to using OSCAR and modifying my pressure settings if my AHI is already under 1?
Post Reply Post Reply
Low AHI does not equal low arousals (which your self admitted leak problem contribute to).

Arousals cause sleep fragmentation and keep you feeling sleepy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are some general things to consider. We can help with tweaking things.

1. Pressure too low - even though you may have a great AHI, if the pressure is not enough for both IPAP and EPAP, you may feel like there is not enough air. A bit more pressure should help.

2. Pressure too high - too much IPAP and/or EPAP pressure may be uncomfortable. It takes time to adjust for some, whilst others cannot get used to it. Dropping pressure slowly to find the sweet spot where events are handled and it is comfortable will help.

3. Fighting the machine - when we first turn up the pressure it feels uncomfortable to breathe for some. Breathing with the machine, not against it, will be much more comfortable. Relax. Breathe normally. It should not feel like a struggle, but if it does it is likely you fighting the machine and not the machine fighting you.

4. Mask and headgear sizing - mask and headgear need to be the correct size for you. Even if they are masks just do not fit people the same way. Subtle variances in physiology make a big difference in comfort. You have to find the right mask for you, but there is no secret to it. Many of us try half a dozen or more masks before finding the right one at the correct size. Give it a chance, but do not struggle with a mask or headgear. 

5. Hose management - Find what works for you positioning the hose. Some like it in the air hanging down, others above their head, and still more that like it under the covers across their bodies. Find what works for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still sleepy after 8 months of CPAP V1nce 4 350 06-30-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  mr sleepy - Therapy Help mr sleepy 10 916 06-28-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: mr sleepy
  Help understanding OSCAR Data - Feeling Tired all day (not sleepy) elsanti1976 9 792 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: elsanti1976
  [CPAP] Low AHI, compliant but still sleepy jamwin 2 488 11-30-2023, 02:56 PM
Last Post: jamwin
  Low AHI, Comfortable w/ APAP but Still Sleepy SJGD7 3 1,254 10-10-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Still sleepy during the day - low tidal, high resp.? mildOA 3 606 09-19-2023, 09:27 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Gross Forever sleepy - help! mjw423 7 968 05-14-2023, 01:04 AM
Last Post: Old Mike

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.