Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Suddenly experiencing a lot more Central Apneas
Suddenly experiencing a lot more Central Apneas
Hi all,

I'm facing another issue with my Bipap machine...

So, I recently posted about my problems with a leaky mask (leak rate was over 30%) and after following this group's advice, I seemed to have fixed that problem by washing and machine drying the elastic on my mask. So THANK YOU to everyone that provided feedback about that!

Now I seem to be having another issue... my central apneas have gone through the roof. I did increase the pressure support slightly, but it's hard to imagine it would have that much of an effect (from 3 to 3.8). 

I'm currently on "S" mode with a 6 EPAP and 9.8 IPAP. Should I switch to "Auto" mode instead?

Anyways, if anyone can help me with this I'd greatly appreciate it! I also included a close-up of the flow rate, in case that's helpful.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Suddenly experiencing a lot more Central Apneas
your pressure support is 3.8, let's reduce it to 3, so set IPAP=9/PS=3

you appear to be one of the 'lucky' individuals where a higher PS may be causing higher CA events, this will give us additional data to work on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2021, 04:35 PM)Gideon Wrote: your pressure support is 3.8,  let's reduce it to 3, so set IPAP=9/PS=3

you appear to be one of the 'lucky' individuals where a higher PS may be causing higher CA events,  this will give us additional data to work on.

Thanks! Do you see any other issues with my settings? 

I am using "S" mode rather than "V auto". Also, do you think my flow rate looks okay?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, but is there a reason you are not using VAuto Mode?

Eliminate the calendar as that prevents other data from showing, specifically your settings.

You should ALWAYS show us the standard charts ( View / Reset Graphs / Standard )
Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Flow Limit, Leaks, 

then if you have a need to show the more advanced charts,  ( View / Reset Graphs / Advanced)

Your Flow Limits look ok

T=You could add a zero line to the flow rate chart, everything on top is inspiration, below expiration.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2021, 07:33 PM)Gideon Wrote: Yes, but is there a reason you are not using VAuto Mode?

Eliminate the calendar as that prevents other data from showing, specifically your settings.

You should ALWAYS show us the standard charts ( View / Reset Graphs / Standard )
Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Flow Limit, Leaks, 

then if you have a need to show the more advanced charts,  ( View / Reset Graphs / Advanced)

Your Flow Limits look ok

T=You could add a zero line to the flow rate chart, everything on top is inspiration, below expiration.

Hey Gideon,

Yea I seem to have more problems with Vauto mode for some reason. My AHI almost always seems higher when I use it compared to just regular "S" mode. Any idea why that might be happening? 

I've attached images of last night and the prior night's OSCAR records, as well as a summary of my settings and the results.

Thanks again for your help. This has all been quite the journey!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
A question before I bias your answer.

Which night did you like better? And why?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2021, 09:38 AM)Gideon Wrote: A question before I bias your answer.

Which night did you like better?  And why?

It's hard to tell but I feel like last night I slept slightly better (on Vauto mode), despite the higher leakage rate, but honestly, it's close.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 556 49 minutes ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,795 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,516 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,398 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 855 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 266 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.