Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] long desaturations
long desaturations
I have been having some (I think) onset apnea stuff happening for the past couple of months.  I have a sleep study in 10 days, but in the mean time have monitored my spo2 and pulse during a portion of the night.  I have noticed that while my O2 levels are around 97 during the day, once sleep they fall to around 93 for prolonged periods of time (an hour plus).  Can anyone speak to whether this is a sign of apnea or not?  Or what might be happening.  
I had a physical and bloodwork that all came up normal.  
I breath through my nose all day but seem to switch to mouth breathing at night as I wake up with a dry mouth and sometimes snore.  
I would really appreciate any insight!
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: long desaturations
Without an actual sleep study it is definitely tough to say exactly what is happening, but low O2 at night is definitely a sign of sleep apnea. Most people have other signs and symptoms, like excess daytime sleepiness, chronic fatigue, brain fog, etc.

For example, my O2 at night would generally stay at 95%-100%, with only a 20 min period at 90%-95%. But it I had lots of smaller 3-4% desaturations during my apneas and hypopneas.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my chart for at least a piece of last night. 
My concern is just that I stay at 93 for an hour or so. 
I have a few little dips into 92 and even a couple seconds at 91.
I seem to be having transitional apneas where I feel like right as I am about to fall asleep, I feel like my auto breathing stops.
The huge spikes in pulse are me getting up abruptly to pee.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Like I said before, its hard to know why exactly that's happening. Could be many things, but a sleep study will tell us exactly what is happening. Blood O2 can change a little bit while sleeping but anything into the low 90s is good to get checked out. Once you get your sleep study done, post it here and we can help you out.

Good news is if it is some sort of apnea, PAP therapy will help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a good article about O2 sats during the night:

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/physical...ring-sleep

One take-away: 93 is not consider low, though it is considered "borderline low." In addition to your O2 levels, your decreases in O2 levels may be important too. You'll learn a lot more about that once you've had your sleep study.

Will the study be in a lab or at home?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long time user, Lost weight AHI going up. Nutshell3160 1 98 07-23-2024, 06:42 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  long time user , new problems spud45 9 303 07-18-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Resmed AS10 doesn't intervene for long OA events? pixpop 11 308 07-17-2024, 11:18 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How Long To Feel Better When Starting CPAP Therapy chuck29 15 531 07-11-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: chuck29
  Help! How long (days/months) are sleep study results valid for? ApneaNewbie 7 6,821 06-21-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: JRuck504
  Desaturations on APAP Songbird 4 299 06-11-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  How long do Resmed Airsense 10s last? silverchief2 3 432 05-22-2024, 08:33 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.