Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tonsillectomy And general anesthesia
Tonsillectomy And general anesthesia
I am a 55 year old female and I’m scheduled to have my tonsils removed in November. I was already nervous about this but yesterday made it worse….I had a different procedure done and after it the anesthesiologist went out and told my husband that I need to make sure I’m using my CPAP every night because he could tell I have severe apnea. I have mixed apnea and my ENT says removing tonsils will help. Anyway I decided to look up the general anesthesia since that’s what they will be using for my tonsils - not the twilight or whatever the used yesterday. In many of the things I found it said general anesthesia can be very dangerous for someone with sleep apnea as it can be difficult to wake them from it. I haven’t talked to my dr. About it yet but has anyone had issues with general anesthetic from their apnea? I just started using a CPAP three months ago and I actually sleeping less with it on. I wake up several times during the night and have seen it reach 18 but not sure if that matters.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tonsillectomy And general anesthesia
When I had an angiogram, Anesthesiologist simply put some supplemental oxygen (2 liters I think) on me via nasal cannula.  I think in a tonsilectomy, surgeon goes in through the mouth.  If surgeon goes in through the nose, this obviously wouldn't work then.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! I’m actually thinking about canceling the surgery, I’m going for a second opinion in a few weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had full anesthesia without problems. The CPAP is not really a complication because most of the time the anesthesiologist will use a ventilator during the procedure. You may be able to bring your machine and use it during recovery. Ask questions to resolve your concerns.

Jen, I would really like to see you use the free OSCAR program and get some help on this forum concerning your therapy. Your profile suggests you are using wide-open settings of 4-20 and I'm sure it would help you if we optimized your settings and efficacy. Especially with complex apnea, we can help you to spot problems you can discuss with your doctor, and even let you know if you should be using a more advanced type of positive air pressure device. I hope you will consider it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had about 20 surgeries under general. NEVER a problem with sleep apnea. The usually tell me to bring the machine but they have never used it. They know how to take care of you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 2,141 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  CPAP issues after tonsillectomy + septoplasty bloom25 14 1,423 01-31-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: bloom25
  General Issues Lusk 3 379 01-22-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Tonsillectomy and UPPP surgery Jen0628jen 3 668 11-02-2023, 09:21 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [Health] Risking surgery with General Anesthetic henryrootytoot 21 1,675 06-26-2023, 10:14 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [Equipment] Filters in general and the ResMed 11 Cpapian 3 887 06-25-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Melman
  Tonsillectomy km2293 2 582 05-25-2023, 07:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.