Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trying to Reduce CA Events
RE: Trying to Reduce CA Events
I’m currently in belief that it’s all affecting my sleep. I think that I have some sort of UARS based on a deep analysis of my breathing and how a lot my inhalations are not rounded and disrupted. It seems like based on my research, treating this best requires a bipap. Due to my sensitivity to centrals it sounds like a bipap will make those worst. So an ASV sounds like it will do both things I need. Unless I’m misunderstanding an ASV and it doesn’t do the same job as a bipap but it sounded like it would on top of having the backup rate.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ASV would treat all this, as far as what I'm understanding about your situation. I'm basing this on the half CA half hypopnea status. EPAP on the ASV would treat Obstructive Apnea much like an AutoSet can. The pressure support takes place of the AutoSet EPR along with having a wider range of possible settings, where you get hypopnea treatment by way of the differential pressure. This PS is delivered differently in ASV, because it's also targeting the CA.

In action, assuming ASV Auto mode, EPAP can move about in a range to treat the obstructive and EPAP Min will act as you exhale pressure. PS comes in on inhale, and increases towards PS Max setting to blow harder to jolt a breath during the CA.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah I am leaning towards an ASV but I still plan to see ENT first and hopefully learn more before I head that route. In the meantime, I got an O2 ring to track data and did another night with 11 cpap. Same results as last time. My O2 doesnt drop a significant amount but from what I read online thats normally how it goes since its not a complete obstruction for me if it is UARS.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all, quick update, ENT was pretty useless regarding sleep (even though I was specifically sent to him from my sleep physicians) but he did tell me I am pretty obstructed in my nose and throat after an exam. I've gotten the impression I am going to have to work on this on my own since my sleep center has been so useless. I took the initiative and found a decently priced ASV online and it will come in tomorrow. I would love some help on how to initially set it up with the best settings. I am sure I will be back with some results so we can fine tune what I need. Based on my limitied research, if I do have UARS, I should have best breathing in periods where the ASV is not fluctuating but is at a stable high pressure. This is why Lankylefty on youtube recommends Bipaps for UARS. However, I went with an ASV since I have central events as a majority of my events and were also in my sleep study. My first thought is it might be best to set it up like a Bipap-ST where I have continuous pressure but also have a backup rate. Not sure if thats even possible but I am just brainstorming ideas really. I would love to just get help to set up the ASV as default as possible and we can adjust it as I need based on results. Thanks for all the help as always!
Post Reply Post Reply
One other stop - gap thing I tried when my nose was clogged was using either breathe right strips (or equivalent), or some small nasal dilators that I found online.  I like the cone shaped, skeleton (not completely solid) dilators make of soft silicone (easier to tolerate all night).
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
I always have nasal congestion due to small airways and tiny sinuses. I use Flonase (generic version) every night at bedtime. I tried dilators years ago, before apnea, and found them uncomfortable and not helpful. Flonase is safe and very helpful.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
The ResMed ST would have backup rate, but it lacks pressure ranges. I don't recall it works with pressure ranges, opposite to ASV or even VAuto BPAP. But backup rate is likely a setting you can adjust, not so ASV.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Honestly I’m probably confused on the difference between ST and ASV. I got an ASV anyway so I’m going to try to make it work with that. Any help with initial setup would be great, or at least a place to look on my own. Otherwise I’ll have to look on my own tonight! Thanks for all the help!
Post Reply Post Reply
I would consider this setup

Mode ASV Auto
EPAP Min 6 Max 12
PS Min 3 Max 12
Try to avoid Ramp
Set humidifier and heated hose if using same as current ResMed
Smart start and stop if you want

IPAP is behind the scenes, not directly user adjustable. IPAP is the sum of EPAP and PS. Using settings above equals IPAP Min 9 Max 24.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome makes sense. Thanks so much Dave! I will bring data back tomorrow!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A way to track the length of my apnea events DeadManSleeping 1 44 3 hours ago
Last Post: OpalRose
  Optimal Settings on iBreeze BiPAP to reduce FL ewriter 31 510 Yesterday, 09:39 AM
Last Post: ewriter
Information [News] Oropharyngeal exercises and myofunctional therapy may possibly reduce SA severity JoeyWallaby 3 1,610 04-30-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Machine not reacting fast enough to events? Brimstone 2 92 04-30-2024, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Brimstone
Question [CPAP] Are these events Central or Obstructive Apneas? vHungry 5 129 04-28-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Why pressure is rising without events SleepySleeper 8 211 04-27-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Daytime events huge spike liz0859 4 151 04-24-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: liz0859

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.