Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Why pressure is rising without events
Why pressure is rising without events
I've got my AHI from double digits down to typically 1.5-2.5, but my machine is ramping up pressure which seems unnecessary. Can someone think of a reason why this is happening or is there a setting I could ask my doctor to adjust so it doesn't happen? I wake up very early in the morning to the feeling of being bloated/full of gas, to which I can imagine excess pressure is contributing.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why pressure is rising without events
Hi SleepySleeper! - Welcome
A Resmed uses flow limitations to trigger a pressure increase. Your charts depict this scenario.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like you're suffering from Aerophagia (the swallowing of air).

Pressure can increase for reasons besides apneas. The most common is from Flow Limitations. Also leaks, even low level leaking for whatever reason is often linked with the flow limitation rising and in turn that causes the pressure to rise.

You could try using a static pressure (Cpap mode) for a while to eliminate pressure increases. Try setting your pressure to 8cm and use EPR 2. Watch for a week and keep track of the Aerophagia.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2024, 09:35 AM)SleepySleeper Wrote:  Can someone think of a reason why this is happening...

You can compare the inhalation peaks at 23.01.20 and 23.02.20. The latter is after the pressure increase. The latter pesks do not show inhalation flow limitation, while the former peak is ragged. Hence, the flow is limited.
Post Reply Post Reply
Note that even if the machine is not showing flow limitations, you may still be having them, just not large enough for the machine to count it. By looking at the waveforms in a 2-3 minute zoom, you may see flattened peaks, which is indicative of flow limitations. See the attached for examples.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for the answers! For insurance reasons I can't change the settings myself (I think), but I'll ask my doctor to see what could be done. The flow limitation does seem clear - flatter tops before, sharper peaks after increasing the pressure. Seems like working as intended.

Anything that can be done for Aerophagia, or is it what it is?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2024, 03:32 PM)SleepySleeper Wrote: Anything that can be done for Aerophagia, or is it what it is?

Lower pressure lowers Aerophagia, but it is evident you need the pressure support.
Higher EPR lowers Aerophagia, but you are already at the maximum setting. Try an AirCureve 10, where you can have an even higher pressure difference between ins. and exp. (Kind of higher than  EPR 3)  You might be able to rent it for a test.
Post Reply Post Reply
Insurance is only concerned that you use your machine and benefit from its use as documented through your treating physician. Insurance does not monitor nor care about what settings you use. If you read the preamble to the Setup Manuals page, it is discussed there that we consider patient empowerment and access to settings to be a basic patient right. https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2024, 03:32 PM)SleepySleeper Wrote: Anything that can be done for Aerophagia, or is it what it is?

See my response above (post #3)
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confused about Events? mikebox 5 118 10 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  More events + higher pressure in early morning waking me up? Looking for advice! JustG 1 77 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Shouldn't flow limit always precede OA events? NoddingHacker 2 504 07-24-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Pablomc
  Resmed AS10 doesn't intervene for long OA events? pixpop 11 308 07-17-2024, 11:18 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Oscar Data. No events flagged but weird flow rate pattern during REM Ynot 117 4,672 07-17-2024, 10:32 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  CA (cluster?) events not reducing T818 83 7,628 07-17-2024, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
Question Recent increase in Clear Airway events cupcakechinchilla 4 268 07-15-2024, 01:53 PM
Last Post: cupcakechinchilla

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.