Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking up every hour
RE: Waking up every hour
Hi. Please see the following attached.

1st attachment is 3 minute views from mid section (likely asleep).
2nd attachment is 3 minute views from beginning of section so I suspect I was awake during this period (just initially trying to fall asleep)
3rd attachment has 3 minute views from Dec 20 of a single Clear Airway event.

Please let me know if you require more attachments.

Thanks!

I decided to post one more 3 minute view from Dec 28 since I am using my new Mask here. Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure if by 3 minute views you meant zoomed in so the entire chart is 3 minutes and is around Clear Airways?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi. I ended up sleeping with EPR on yesterday. Will most likely turn it off tonight and post a chart tomorrow morning. I just experimented and was lying down wide awake with a mask on. Result is AHI of 34 with lots of Clear Airways and many obstructive events. What does this mean? Is this normal to have Clear Airways and Obstructive Apnea when awake? Are these false events?

Also I wanted to ask. EPR causes actual central apneas? Or EPR causes the machine to register false events?

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dormeo. As per your request I am attaching my Oscar sleep report with EPR off.
1st attachment includes 3 different episodes that I managed to sleep with a full face mask. I excluded some episodes that I think are irrelevant from the report (awake recordings and nasal mask experiments.)

2nd attachment is a zoomed in graph without events - please let me know if you think it looks ok? I watched on youtube that sometime the machine does not record events even though they exist and there may be other problems...

3rd attachment is zoomed in around some events

Also wondering how are my flow limitations? Horrible? Ok? And how do you think they compare to flow limitations with EPR on?

I am still waking up every 1- 2 hours and still feel tired during the day. 

Thanks for your help!

Post Reply Post Reply
With EPR off, your pressure for exhalation was higher, which cleaned up a lot of your OAs, and you experienced fewer CAs. I would suggest setting your max = min = 8, with EPR off, and stick with those settings for at least 3 or 4 more nights. I'd also suggest that you turn off the ramp feature, unless that makes it hard for you to fall asleep.

The two clusters of CAs toward the beginning of sleep segments may represent transitional events. These are not uncommon; the neurochemical changes involved in the change from waking to sleeping can sometimes result in these series of pauses, which then go away once you're sound asleep.

One of the zoomed-in views shows what appears to be normal sleep breathing, though with some signs of flow limitation (dents or points at the top of the inhalation curve). The other shows several arousals, which you can identify by the deeper and less regular respiration. But I'm not convinced you were entirely asleep during much of that period; you're not showing the pauses between breaths that are typical of sleep breathing.

As for flow limitations, yes, they are heavier with EPR turned off. For some people, FLs disturb sleep; for others, they don't. Down the road, you may be able to experiment with re-introducing a little EPR, but I wouldn't recommend making that change now.

It's not yet known what the exact mechanism is by which higher pressures and/or EPR can cause CAs. One theory is that the machine washes out some CO2 from the bloodstream, which delays the "breathe now" neurochemical command. Another is that greater expansion of the rib cage sets off a mechanism that pauses breathing. With time, the body tends to adapt to the machine and produce fewer CAs.

Going forward, please turn off the calendar before you post charts. It's very helpful to see the data in the left panel. For example, those data make it easier to quantify increases or decreases in FLs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!

A bit off topic. Do you know by any chance whether sleep apnea related nocturia is supposed to disappear with first successful CPAP use? Or is there a process during which the body needs to heal and nocturia can decrease overtime by using CPAP therapy?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SleepHQ O2 Ring Alarm waking me up MurrayApnea 2 243 Yesterday, 12:31 AM
Last Post: MurrayApnea
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 262 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross Waking up anxious Gailofiowa 3 143 04-09-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 388 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help to interpret "Events per Hour" data Fritz1255 1 190 03-30-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 422 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 218 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.