Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Annoying Whistle Sound
Question 
Annoying Whistle Sound
I started using my CPAP machine in October [2015]. On occasion, my machine or mask will make a whistling sound when I wear it. I have no idea where it is coming from and the only way I can stop it is to play with the water level in the square cup. However, lately this has been an every night ordeal. Why does my machine whistle and where is the sound coming from? What should I be doing to guarantee that I will not hear this annoying whistle when I put my mask on? Thank you very much!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Annoying Whistle Sound
Based off your observation, I'd would guess that it might be the seal on the humidifier is leaking.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your quick reply. How do I fix this?
Post Reply Post Reply
This is just me thinking out loud (well sort'a). The whistling is an indication of an air leakage from somewhere. If I ever had one, it's because I failed to make a tight connection.

I'd set the machine up, like I was going to sleep(wearing mask), and turn it on. While it's operating, start jiggling and pushing on the hose connections and the humidifier to see if any thing causes a sound change. I realize that jiggling and pushing aren't very scientific but sometimes they do work.

If all else fails, call your DME and tell them your complaint.

Sorry I can't be anymore help.

Side Note: While trying to type this reply, my spell check feature wanted me to use "giggling" in lieu of "jiggling". . . That would have made for one hoot of a reply read. Dielaughing
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Seems to be a common problem with the ResMed S10. Make sure the humidifier chamber is fully seated, I also heard that ResMed may be offering an improved seal to eliminate this problem. Check with your DME, and either get the upgrade or a replacement machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
A good all purpose way of pinpointing noises is to use a section of tubing such as 3/8" Tygon and hold one end near an ear and run the open end around the source in question.
Do I have to warn anyone not to poke their eardrums or do this on something really loud or moving a lot of air? If so consider yourself warned.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
Check all three seals in the humidifier.

[Image: A10%20tank%20seals.PNG]

Also check your intake filter on the left side of the machine.

[Image: a10.resmed.series.filter.jpg]
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I have the same machine, and have same issues.

The quick fix is to use a tight rubber band on the humidifier chamber, the part extending from machine.

The correct fix is that ResMed knows about this problem and changed the design of the gaskets in the newer humidifier, and you should get a new one.

Old ones designated by a "White" tab to depress and pull from machine.

New ones designated by a "Gray" tab to depress and pull from machine.

The DME gave me a new humidifier chamber and I have not had the whistle, squealing with it.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum SMD38972, glad you found us! Hope you get your whistle under control soon!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
My mask whistles when the exhaust ports are wet. I have to run my hand over them to force the water droplets out.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  White/Brown Sound? MoneyPit1946 7 147 03-16-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: MoneyPit1946
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 277 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 197 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] DS2 Making whirring sound when inhaling egg 5 1,859 12-28-2023, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Agent Smith
  Full Face Mask - Whistle on exhalation slane52186 4 543 10-01-2023, 01:33 PM
Last Post: slane52186
  [CPAP] AirSense 10 beep or ding sound Baklash 0 490 07-30-2023, 12:11 PM
Last Post: Baklash
  Constant air leak sound but leak doesn't show up in software shanky 2 849 02-05-2023, 12:04 AM
Last Post: shanky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.