Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] I cannot keep my mask on, and I'm thinking of returning the machine.
I cannot keep my mask on, and I'm thinking of returning the machine.
Hello,

I (24M) can only seem to keep my cpap on for ~3 hours/night. Most of the time, it's a conscious decision, although I don't remember the reasoning. One time it was due to rain-out, and another was because I felt a bit "suffocated." I fixed the rainout issue, so I think the latter is the main problem.   

Still, I need to sleep 4 hours with it 70% of the night for insurance. Given that my condition is mild (7 events/hour), I wonder how much I would benefit from the machine. This is why I'm thinking of returning the machine. 

I've attached my oscar data from last night (I didn't know I needed an SD card to retrieve the data; otherwise I would include more). Do you see anything that may be the issue? Furthermore, would you say that the data suggests my life would significantly improve if I used a cpap machine?

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I cannot keep my mask on, and I'm thinking of returning the machine.
Welcome to Apnea Board,

A few things you might want to try:

1. Run the CPAP during the day (when you're not intending to sleep that is), watching TV, etc. in an attempt to get used to CPAP and the mask

2. EPR 3 needs a minimum pressure of 7, consider trying that, you can access the pressure setting via push and hold of Home and Dial for 5 seconds, then scroll to Min that's currently 5 and edit to 7

3. There's occasional leaks that may be disrupting rest, check the wiki on mask adjustment, try MASK PRIMER to start
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 265,791 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 210 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  For anyone who is thinking of giving up on CPAP because of the nuisance...... BigWing 3 421 02-12-2024, 07:04 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 354 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 939 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 458 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 960 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.