Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Data sharing
Data sharing
I'm just trying to understand all the data-sharing possibilities available to me. If I want to help a family memeber, or even a stranger, what options do I have to protect myself?

Remote access via zoom or some other software is one. Is there one app that's considered best for this?

How could I assure that there's no malware, accidental or intentional, embedded within, let's say, a zip file I download from an anon, who's data I would like to review with them, sharing my screen?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Data sharing
It would depend on your definition of data sharing. Are you refering to RDP (remote desktop) or VNC to their computer?
Or something easier like having them upload their data to the cloud (like Dropbox) where you can then import it into a profile?

Either way could have potential risks. I would advice running a quick virus check before looking at anyone data files.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was thinking either RDP or teamviewer for one-time/multi-time use.

Downloading their data from the cloud is also an option, but like you mentioned, I don't want malware on my computer. I was thinking of creating a partition with a live OS and downloading OSCAR onto it for this specific use, which I believe would provide sweeping protection, though I'm not a computer wizard. Any thoughts?

Any advice on which virus scanning software to use if I did?

Thanks! Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
For family (or close friends), RDP might be an option. But be aware of the potential pitfalls if the other users tend to click on things without checking them out first. You never know what will happen when you connect.

I prefer something like Dropbox. They can upload their SD card regularly. You can download it to your computer and look at the data in a profile in OSCAR.

If you are concerned you could always create a VM, make a clone of it, then use that clone to work with. Anything happens to the clone you just delete it and make a new clone of the original. I do that frequently. It's quite flexible and you can run any OS you need to.

For helping strangers.....I would leave that to the forums like Apnea Board.

For AV scanners....Those are subjective. I use ClamScan on my Mac. It doesn't get in the way and ony runs when I tell it to. Other well know A/V programs can be a bit of a nightmare to work with. So choose carefully.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2023, 01:35 AM)jwest Wrote: Remote access via zoom or some other software is one. Is there one app that's considered best for this?

How could I assure that there's no malware, accidental or intentional, embedded within, let's say, a zip file I download from an anon, who's data I would like to review with them, sharing my screen?

We use AnyDesk at my job for providing remote IT support for our customers. It is remote desktop software (competitor of TeamViewer) and free for non-commercial use. Since all you are moving are "photos" of the screen as well as mouse movements and key presses, it is absolutely safe for you as long as you don't use the file transfer feature:
  1. The person in need of help downloads anydesk and runs it. They will see numbers like XXX XXX XXX.
  2. You download anydesk yourself and input the numbers given to you by the person in need of help.
  3. They will get a request to accept your connection and decide if they want to give control of mouse and keyboard to you or just see the screen.
  4. When you are done you disconnect or they can kick you out at any time.
From my point of view I see a few advantages:
  • Their health data is never in your possession, so you avoid a potential liability there.
  • You don't have to download anything to your computer for each person that needs help. You just use AnyDesk that is a trusted product and you downloaded from their official website.
I hope this helps!
Post Reply Post Reply
these are both awesome answers. Thanks guys. I have all the information I need now.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 3 314 03-29-2024, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Viatom/WellUE data is different than OSCAR displayed data GordK 3 356 02-23-2024, 04:48 PM
Last Post: GordK
  Data structure / data definition of AirSense 11 CD, CMSd50+ or OSCAR?hing obvious, … Perickson 4 1,729 02-18-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Perickson
  Changed data directory from OneDrive, Now can't read data Rich66 9 1,117 08-24-2023, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Rich66
  Import CSV data file without matching SD card sleep data 2SleepBetta 4 1,303 09-30-2021, 05:55 AM
Last Post: Neelix
  Bug: Viatom data reappearing in OSCAR after deleting oximetry data Ratchick 2 1,006 04-19-2021, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Ratchick
  Oscar Error there is no data to graph summary data only u4ea 2 1,496 02-05-2021, 10:02 PM
Last Post: u4ea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.