Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flow graphs - Am I mouth breathing
Flow graphs - Am I mouth breathing
I'm attaching a flow graph/leak rate graph from SH showing a transition from "normal" to "leaking."  I'm using a P10 mask most every day, occasionally sneaking in the Dreamwear Gel Pillows (which I'll probably use when I've depleted my P10 stockpile).  Lately, the leak numbers that I've been seeing have headed towards the ditch, even after switching to new pillows, new headgear, and taking the toothbrush to the screen.  I usually get 5-6 days of virtually no leaks after replacing the pillows and at least doing the hot water wash of the headgear, and I know I've done the mouth breathing thing before, though not as consistently (presuming you're going to tell me that's what it is).  If you would, in addition to telling me what, tell me how you know.  For example, is "up" inhalation or exhalation?  Thanks in advance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow graphs - Am I mouth breathing
Hard to tell for sure, but increased leak rate correlates with diminished flow volume, so a mouth leak is likely. The signature of a mouth leak is a leak that has a flat top that is near the limits for a "large leak". The flow rate shows a flow limit at 3:33:30, so this may also be hypopnea. In spite of the leak the machine is still fully detecting and responding to respiratory flow, so if this is not disruptive, it is probably not too harmful to therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. There was no event recorded near this time frame. I do get awakened sometimes and not know/remember what it is, though I have correlated some arousals to centrals, though not always. My AHI is very good, very rarely above 1. But I haven't yet achieved "rested" and "refreshed" after doing this for 4 years, mainly because my defective brain won't hardly let me do more than 6.5 hours on good days.

A flat top is what I presumed was the signature of a mouth leak, but can you elaborate on "a flat top that is near the limits for a "large leak""? I'd expect the flow from the machine to always be "positive," and the breathing would be "plus or minus" on top, and a leak a "big plus." Maybe I just don't understand the scaling that SH is using.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's another, different night, that by your description I'm sure is a mouth leak:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
A typical mouth leak is a flat-topped leak over a period of time as compared to a sharp spike which indicates a mask leak. As you can see, the one imaged here early in the night is not very consequential. In the case of judging the severity of leaks, the close-up images are not as useful as just looking at the whole night.

[Image: 3IJrg96.png?1]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am going to jump in and speak for Sleeprider (not that I think that he can not speak for himself). By flat top I think that Sleeprider meant when your leak rate curve goes above 25 l/min and stays there for a while. The un-expanded leak rate curve shows a flat top rather than a spiky one.

What your flow rate curve looks like on the second set of graphs is a little flow limitation.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, I see (I think). So it isn't the flow wave form flattened out, it is the leak curve, then. The flow wave form flattens out when the "normal" flow + leak + inhale hits the machine limit, then?

In the "good" nights I described, I've had leak graphs very similar to that. On "bad" nights, I have several of those flat topped leaks, usually making the median greater than 0.
Post Reply Post Reply
The flow rate graph showing flattened tops indicates flow restrictions which the Resmed auto units view as precursors to obstructive apneas. It is your flow limitation not the machines and there are no other qualifying events.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, thanks. Very helpful. I'm going to get one of those cervical collars and re-train myself on keeping the mouth closed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I guess that settles that . . . one night with cervical collar, one night without.  I bet you can tell which is which.

I bought one of those adjustable Futuro ones, fits fine and works (obviously).  I did wake up with a sweaty neck this morning, though, and wondered if any of you have one that might be cooler.

Thanks for the advice thus far.  I'm not chasing bad AHI's or compromised therapy, just eliminating a potential source of mystery arousals.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 3 98 1 minute ago
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 2 31 17 minutes ago
Last Post: emile.leplattenier
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 1 30 1 hour ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 23 556 4 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 448 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 5 141 03-16-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 4 187 03-16-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.