Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flow rate kink at end of exhalation
Flow rate kink at end of exhalation
I sometimes have a kink at the end of the exhalation - more of a small dip than a flattening. Occasionally, it can even go slightly above zero and then back below before the full inhale. Is this an air supply issue? What should I experiment with? Could this mean EPAP is bottoming out too low or is it not low enough to let me smoothly finish the exhale? The upward curve of the exhale could be smoother in general if that matters.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow rate kink at end of exhalation
I think at least ONE flow rate graph would help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's one screenshot: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/drive-...v=s1600-v0
Post Reply Post Reply
It looks like spontaneous inspiration is beginning and the IPAP pressure support is not keeping up. Increase trigger sensitivity to high and let us know if that solves the problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
IPAP is not responding fast enough? Is there a way to be sure that is the issue?

I'm already at high trigger sensitivity. Should I try very high?
Post Reply Post Reply
Changing trigger sensitivity is simply a trial and error to see if it makes a difference. Was the "kink" there before you changed to high trigger? I should have checked the chart for settings because it's right there. Anyway, I don't know whether trigger will make any difference, but this is the only way I know to find out. Are you even aware of a physical sensation from this, or just looking to make the chart perfect?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's present on a day with medium trigger that I happened to check. I'll try very high to see if that helps. I had rolled back to medium because I didn't want the machine to reduce my exhale, but perhaps that was the wrong direction.

These curves can't be perfect, but possibly improved. I noticed this and wondered if it was connected to the sucking in the mask sensation. Possibly that occurs when this kink is above the zero line. There's no real way to know as I'm not able to track exactly when that occurs. 

Do others not have this pattern?
Post Reply Post Reply
The flow sensor is in the device between the fan and humidifier. There is a lot of potential for interference. To be honest, I don't often examine the flow rate for these kinds of anomalies, even for myself. My nightly flow chart is full of just awful looking stuff that I don't notice on a sensory level, so I don't chase it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Very high trigger seems to be worse. The kinks are worse with more clearly going back down before up. The curve shapes seem more jittery too. Should I try low trigger instead to compare? Adjust pressure somehow?
Post Reply Post Reply
I would move back to medium trigger, or try low. As I said before, this a a trial and error experiment to find the best and most comfortable result. It seems like you did okay at medium trigger.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow Rate Forms erolalper 2 73 Yesterday, 09:36 AM
Last Post: erolalper
  Flow Rate and Flow Limit Graphs ovmeadows 20 2,872 Yesterday, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel Deborah K. 110 9,071 Yesterday, 07:31 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  flow limit of 1 rhishi 3 129 04-25-2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: rhishi
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 11 322 04-25-2024, 10:42 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Is this mouth breathing on flow r. Experiencing aerophagia with pressure above 6cmH20 Jonkier 1 127 04-24-2024, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Narcil
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 9 1,581 04-23-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.