Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Frequent hiccups in flow rate. Normal?
RE: Frequent hiccups in flow rate. Normal?
I agree that more subjects would have made that a more compelling study, though I'm willing to bet that the general range for hourly indexes is about right and that there's some age stratification.

The forum has a ton of Oscar charts but very little information about the incidence of arousals or their classification as spontaneous. I wonder whether the MyAir app people are working with researchers using their accumulating data, which probably could identify the incidence of arousals. (The charts are on line, and you can zoom in on flow rates.)
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not sure I would call a single deep breath an arousal. I am not even sure that is deep enough to call a sigh. 

But we all do vary our breathing, depth and frequency, due to dream experiences and neurological need to balance the body's requirements for O2 and CO2 balance.

I would not loose any sleep over it. 

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I also have this happen about once every 10-20 minutes and have not been able to get a good answer as to what is going on. I think the suggestion that it is a deep sigh or a position change is probably accurate, though I have no way of knowing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sighs are pretty easy to spot if you zoom in.  You'll see some normal sleep breathing, then a single breath that has a kind of extra bit of inhalation on top of the regular inhalation.  A couple of the breaths following the sigh may be a little diminished, but they will otherwise look like normal asleep breaths.
Post Reply Post Reply
Would you mind posting a full screenshot of the OSCAR daily view for one of these nights and move the leak rate chart up under flowrate?
Post Reply Post Reply
Anyone think this is possibly undiagnosed hypo or hyperthyroidism? I saw a YouTube video explaining different abnormal breathing patterns and sighing respiration was included (exactly what is going on here, breathing punctuated by frequent sighs). It said the sighs can be caused by hyperventilation syndrome or dyspnea (shortness of breath). Both hypo and hyperthyroidism can cause dyspnea/shortness of breath. Looking further into the symptoms of hyperthyroidism I do experience quite a bit of them. I gathered some old blood tests to see where my TSH and free T4 levels have been in the past and TSH has been in range, but on the lower side and free T4 has been in range, but nearly out of range on the upper side. I am going to order some more comprehensive thyroid labs and see what comes up.
Post Reply Post Reply
PunchIt, I wouldn’t say the OP’s sighs are frequent, and I would say they are unremarkable. But of course the OP might want to discuss this with her doctor if she has any concern about her thyroid function.
Post Reply Post Reply
PunchIt, would you mind posting a link or a channel name for the YT video you mention? I'm interested in learning more about this connection - I've been trying to get my dr to take me seriously about potential thyroid dysfunction for like 5+ years  Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2023, 10:36 PM)Dormeo Wrote: PunchIt, I wouldn’t say the OP’s sighs are frequent, and I would say they are unremarkable. But of course the OP might want to discuss this with her doctor if she has any concern about her thyroid function.

Although this isn't a view of the whole night, I would say they are frequent and remarkable in my opinion. The frequency looks pretty similar to what I am experiencing (a sigh every 5-10 minutes all night long).
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2023, 01:49 PM)jstro84 Wrote: PunchIt, would you mind posting a link or a channel name for the YT video you mention? I'm interested in learning more about this connection - I've been trying to get my dr to take me seriously about potential thyroid dysfunction for like 5+ years  Thinking-about

here is a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiHme0od-cI&t=359s

It doesn't specifically say that it is connected to thyroid dysfunction, but I just connected the dots on my own that it could possibly be related. If you are worried about potential thyroid dysfunction and your doctor won't order labs you can always self-order them online if you are in the US, not sure about other countries. At the minimum get a TSH and free T4 test.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow Rate Forms erolalper 2 74 Yesterday, 09:36 AM
Last Post: erolalper
  Flow Rate and Flow Limit Graphs ovmeadows 20 2,875 Yesterday, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel Deborah K. 110 9,080 Yesterday, 07:31 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  flow limit of 1 rhishi 3 132 04-25-2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: rhishi
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 11 323 04-25-2024, 10:42 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Is this mouth breathing on flow r. Experiencing aerophagia with pressure above 6cmH20 Jonkier 1 128 04-24-2024, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Narcil
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 9 1,587 04-23-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.