Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help needed to optimize my Dreamstation Auto CPAP
Help needed to optimize my Dreamstation Auto CPAP

Hi All

I am new to this forum. Just got my Dreamstation Auto CPAP last week after being diagnose with moderate obstructive sleep apnea 2 years back. Please see attached sleep report. Will post my Sleepyhead stats in a separate post.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help needed to optimize my Dreamstation Auto CPAP
[attachment=3571]

This is my Sleepyhead stats. I have download the Clinician Setup Instructions. Now need assistance to tweak my CPAP. Should I increase my pressure %? Wanted to post more stats but seems I have reached the 200kb image limit. Anyway around this?

I had a tough time on my first night with the Dreamwear. Lots of leaks with AHI of 11.5. Subsequently, I switched to the Nuance Pro Nasal Pilliow and AHI has maintained to around 3.5. Thinking there should be room for improvement. Should I increase the pressure %?

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: screenshot-20170612-114304_zpskqy05ggx.png]

Figured out how to post images from cloud. Please let me know if you need more stats.
Post Reply Post Reply
FYI, this is my first day stats using the Dreamwear mask without the nasal pillows. It's the reason why the the average stats are so high.

[Image: screenshot-20170612-143632_zpsnsbzjnpl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Give yourself time to adjust to your new machine. If you are finding that you feel starved for air consider raising the lower limit from 4.

Take time to read about stuff in the wiki link at the top of the page.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks kwhenrykerr, I have gone through the wiki links but not extensively. Will continue to do so. Thinking of increase my pressure from 4 to 6 tonight. But I will wait for more suggestions and see.
Post Reply Post Reply
At this time it is probably ok to ride the current settings to give the body, brain, and machine time to get to know each other.  Learning how to read the results and maybe pick a better setting range can help with scores as well as leaks and sleep disruptions caused by the machine and mask interface with the cheeks and/or nose.

When I first started, min pressure of 4 was just fine, but some others felt a little air starved at anything under 6.

With the quick look we have had in just the few short days, you could probably narrow the band to 6 min and 14 max. 

I found that on the 40th day of treatment my pressure suddenly climbed to 16.5. It felt disasterously horrible. The very next day I changed the upper limit to 13.5 figuring that was the highest I was willing to subject myself to. [at the time, my worst 90% pressure was about 10.5]  I thought that would still give me plenty of room if needed.  In time I have increased the top pressure and am more comfortable.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would increase the minimum pressure to 6cm.  You can leave the max pressure at 20 for now, but I personally like a narrower range.  As QAL stated, 14cm.

Try to sleep on your side as much as possible.  Looks like some of your events come in bunches, which could be from back sleeping.

Also, just a suggestion... a soft cervical collar can help keep your neck aligned and stop mouth breathing.  They come in various sizes.

Wear the mask that is most comfortable for you, but you will need to watch the leaks, this is where a soft cervical collar can help.  Stick with your changes for at least a week or two.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi st8800,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It takes time for the body to get used to CPAP therapy. If you are feeling like you aren't getting enough air, you could raise your minimum pressure to 6 and see how that gose for you.

Good luck to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with OpalRose to raise minimum pressure to 6 for now. The clusters of apnea suggest a positional issue, that may be resolved with a soft cervical collar. That should also help with the large leak events. A soft cervical collar only costs $10-$20, and works for many people to prevent chin-tucking which closes the airway in any sleep position.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 0 50 03-17-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 77 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Recommendations to optimize settings roost 8 607 03-06-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: roost
  New here, trying to optimize treatment sweetbobby 10 561 03-03-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: sweetbobby
  Help needed SteveC 23 1,019 03-02-2024, 05:16 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  help needed teamarliss 7 262 02-25-2024, 10:11 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Wink [CPAP] NEW USER - Assistance Needed Interpreting OSCAR Data tommythecat 1 271 02-17-2024, 12:55 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.