Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

User Flagged Events - Need suggestions to reduce them.
User Flagged Events - Need suggestions to reduce them.
Equipment Used
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Standard Tubing
ResMed AirFit P30i Nasal pillow mask (medium)
No Humidity
Smith and Nephew/BSN Cover-Roll Stretch - 2" x 10 Yards
Ice Cube head pillow
Knee Cube with Ice Cube Cooling Cover
CPAP Mode 11 cmH2O with EPR set to 1

Last nights sleep report shows a reported AHI of 1.11 but when including the diminished flow rates of 20% and 50% that last for eight seconds the AHI equals 2.9. With this number in mind, I was thinking that bumping the pressure up to 12 cmH2O and leaving the EPR set to 1 might help reduce these User Flagged Events. Has anybody else used the User Flagged Events and is raising the pressure helpful in this situation?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: User Flagged Events - Need suggestions to reduce them.
You effectively changed the definition of what an Apnea Event is, thus increasing the flagged events, and then posted how to reduce the events you artificially created.

Turn off your User Flagged events, and stop tilting at windmills.

The area you zoomed in on, doesn't even look like you're asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
How are your nasal passages?

Do you have a deviated septum?

Do you wake up often clogged up in one or both nostrils?

When you look in the mirror with the torch on your phone, do you see one nostril is almost closed, and the other very wide open when you look within them?

Is there a specific reason you don't use humidity?

Do you back sleep or side sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Apena23,

How are your nasal passages? I have no issues there.

Do you have a deviated septum? Not that I'm aware of.

Do you wake up often clogged up in one or both nostrils? Usually not, but hay fever is my downfall and I've been dealing with that for the last few weeks.

When you look in the mirror with the torch on your phone, do you see one nostril is almost closed, and the other very wide open when you look within them? No problems there, they look fine.

Is there a specific reason you don't use humidity? I've used it in the past before I started taping, but since the taping I don't feel like I need it. Also, I keep the humidity in my home controlled year-round.

Do you back sleep or side sleep? Mostly on my left side.

The main reason I turned on the other two User Flags was to see if something else was happening during the night that would prevent me from waking up fully refreshed. I feel decent but sometimes a little tired an hour or two after I'm up. Most of the normal OA, CA, RERA, etc. require the event to last 10-seconds. The flags are picking up events that last only six seconds. So, I'm thinking they might be disrupting my sleep but not enough to bump up the AHI score.

My question is this, is more pressure the answer (11 to 12). When I was using APAP mode, the average pressure was 10.2 to 10.4 so when I moved to CPAP I set it at 11. It seems to work okay but if I can improve it, I'll give it a shot.
Post Reply Post Reply
Where these UF events worse or better with APAP vs fixed @ 11cm?

What do they look like close up?

UF is a great way to identify potential sleep distruptions. SBD isn't black and white like medicine and CPAP machines currently say.

More pressure can make them better or worse, same with EPR. It all depends on how your airways and various obstructions respond to pressure. Too little or too much during varying stages of sleep can both cause issues with respiratory drive and sleep fragmentation.

It's a case of slowly experimenting I'm afraid, but close ups of your flow rate patterns leading up to and during these periods may offer clues.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I'll play around and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information [News] Oropharyngeal exercises and myofunctional therapy may possibly reduce SA severity JoeyWallaby 3 1,591 6 hours ago
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Machine not reacting fast enough to events? Brimstone 2 66 10 hours ago
Last Post: Brimstone
  Optimal Settings on iBreeze BiPAP to reduce FL ewriter 30 438 Yesterday, 07:30 AM
Last Post: ewriter
  Looking for suggestions chzuck 41 848 04-28-2024, 04:13 PM
Last Post: chzuck
Question [CPAP] Are these events Central or Obstructive Apneas? vHungry 5 109 04-28-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Why pressure is rising without events SleepySleeper 8 189 04-27-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Daytime events huge spike liz0859 4 134 04-24-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: liz0859

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.