Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

g1ant - Therapy Thread
RE: Off to a good start?
This looks like classic obstructive clusters from a chin-tuck or other positional obstruction.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Off to a good start?
Thanks SR glad to know I am learning.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
Where did I go wrong?
As a returning (AHI 115) user who failed last September I started again on Monday with a new full face mask and for a couple of days all went well with a AHI of less than 5.  As the week has gone on things have got progressively worse to the extent that I wonder if my CPAP machine is working at all.

Here are two screenshots.  One from Monday and one from Saturday.

I'm on the verge of just quitting again.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Where did I go wrong?
I see positional Apnea in those clusters of Obstructive Apnea. Research in the wiki and then buy a soft cervical collar. This will help with some of your issue.

You have some CA/Central Apnea as well. These are consistently inconsistent meaning up and down frequently. One area to address these, kill the Ramp. You should consider lowering EPR until the CA subside, that's assuming these CA are treatment emergent.

Do take time to read about Positional Apnea and the collar. If you have your diagnosic sleep study data, you should post the detailed version redacted of personal info. I'm trying to determine what type your CA are, which helps us to know how you need to address them. Finally, you need some determination not to quit so easily. An AHI of 115 is extreme and in serious need of this treatment. And note that we can help, but you're doing the work. Your situation isn't too hard that you cannot overcome these issues. If you want to, that is.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It’s a battle for sure when one starts out. Try to use the equipment during the day when watching TV so you can be more comfortable at night with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
It LOOKS to me you have positional apnea. Have you changed pillows or STARTED sleeping on your back?

Positional apnea is when you cut off your own airway by the position that you sleep. Chin tucking is when your chin drops to your Sternum and you cut off your own airway. 

Take a look at the link in my signature on collars.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Cervical collar it is then.

Any opinions in sleep apnea pillows with the side cutouts?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2021, 03:01 PM)g1ant Wrote: Cervical collar it is then.

Any opinions in sleep apnea pillows with the side cutouts?

Previously I was using a Cervical collar when sleeping supine, that helped.  If you can sleep on your side constantly through the night, that type of pillow works...well at least for me.  I've trained myself not to sleep supine any more, using a CPAP pillow, and all obstructive clusters have disappeared.

In the attached graph, the main body of the night was on my side, using P30i nasal pillows/mouth tape, and the CPAP pillow.  The last section, from 7AM on, I wanted to lie supine, without a collar as it felt good, then used a flatter pillow, but you can see the clusters are evident...I then grabbed that CPAP pillow and turned on my side.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I've not used one, but there's that cutout type, My pillow is a good one of its own type, buckwheat hull fill and buckwheat with foam bits are yet some more. Do a look on Amazon and see what you find. And best wishes you'll resolve these things.

Forgot to mention the collar name, look up Corflex Ultra Cervical Collar.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would stick to one main treatment thread. Instead of bouncing around. The treatment advice and history is helpful fo those helping you.
I would stay here.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...good-start
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Second attemp at therapy Jonkier 12 316 1 hour ago
Last Post: 40plus
  Dalemazkour - Therapy Help Dalemazkour 31 704 5 hours ago
Last Post: Dalemazkour
  nicchamilton - Therapy Thread nicchamilton 16 94 Yesterday, 12:23 PM
Last Post: nicchamilton
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 80 1,876 04-28-2024, 05:28 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Therapy Beginner Help papercupprincess 7 217 04-28-2024, 12:17 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 10 430 04-27-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  stanleyv28 - Therapy Assistance stanleyv28 23 516 04-27-2024, 04:56 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.