Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

why is my Respiratory rate high?
RE: why is my Respiratory rate high?
I'm trying not to open a new post as per previous guidelines so I'm going to add this to this older post:

I can't for the almost 3 years now get a successful therapy, you can see from my posts and these Screenshots from oscar taken through different days in 2022, i could see some expiratory resistance, maybe something closes in my throat causing the sharp inhale/exhale
i kept reading on this sub about palatal prolapse but i'm not sure it is what i have, I already had UPPP surgery, partial glossectomy, even genioglossus advancement and removed tonsils, and Uvula , so i 'm not sure it is soft tissue blocking exhalation. from desperation i tried to mimic different settings like higher EPAP and no PS or high PS with minimum EPAP ( as I read in the palatal prolapse posts ) and you can see all the flags/events where i acually slept good the first night with PS 7 altough all these flags but horrible next night.
I almost tried most of settings, steady low epap, steady high epap, 0 PS or PS between 1 and 4 they all lead to arousals and all have these spikes i'm not sure anymore what to do, and no i'm not wing dialing i have meticulously adjusted on variable at a a time though the years. 

I'm attaching a zip file of my Aircurve 10 SD card here : SD card 

and a sample of screenshots here: sample of SCs

even when i find some kind of relief from a setting it does not last, it's like my body change using the same settings for a month i would have different results.

at this time hopefully someone in the forum can take a look at the data and advise.

thanks again
Koy - can you attach some sample OSCAR screenshots to a post here? It's the preferred method for the experts to review.

How are you measuring "successful therapy"?
Are you going off numbers/charts or how you feel?
Are you making notes to yourself with each setting change (ie how you slept/feel)?
Do you have a sleep disorder doctor?
Are you mask leaks controlled?
hi,

thanks for trying to help, i am attaching in the post sample of screenshots from different days ( see sample of SC) they are more than 4 which is max allowed to attach here, also there is a zipped google drive link to my whole SD card if you would like to download it and see it on your oscar software

thanks
not sure if anyone had looked at my latest post in this old thread or I should make a new thread?
Koy, I looked at your Sample charts and what I see there is a frequent arousal as indicated by big flow spikes. This is unrelated to the settings on your Vauto, and I can't determine what causes this. Your settings are all over the place, and it's really difficult to associate a problem with settings, but lower PS below 4.0 seems to be much better than the ridiculous try at PS 8.0. Your event rate is generally low and the spikes arise out of no apparent respiratory source. Movement or sleep hygiene may contribute, but if I had an answer I'd have said something. No need to post a new thread. We're trying, but just can't correlate your issues with therapy.

[Image: 4VvGenS.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
thanks for trying, it has been so hard to find consistent settings with machine or masks etc..
But let me try to explain what happens if i don't have pressurized air, at sleep onset, my throat almost "closes" i could feel my airflow narrowing in this same second that i'm jerked awake again, it is a reaction of my body probably when something touch another thing triggering the fight or flight control.
as you could know from my previous posts i had UPPP, partial glossectomy and genioglossus advancement with hyoid bone suspension yet still there is this throat closing suddenly and sudden arousal.

Using the machine had allowed me to "fall asleep" as the pressurized air seems to prevent the "touching that happens" but the struggle is "staying" asleep. they only thing that is consistent are those sudden spikes which i'm going to translate as this "something" was almost going to touch the other"thing" but didn't as i get a stronger air inhale exhale.

I'm not sure if it happens in inhalation curve or exhalation curve, i could see flow limitations sometimes at the top of the curve, sometimes at the bottom of the curve, that is why i uploaded my SD card of all nights as i tried patiently to find something that works, so far nothing is consistent, i still have arousals at night ( abnormal arousals that i remember dreaming in each one) nasal pillow and keeping EPAP/IPAP around the 7.6/8 area with PS zero or less than one looks like one with the lowest flags.
My user flags are airflow reduction of 20% in 5 secs and in 4 secs, plus the normal OA/Hypopnea flags.

I am starting to consider an ASV, for the exhale breath control, but long route/expensive, insurance fight, etc.. and still not sure if it will resolve my issues.
What are you doing for trigger and cycle sensitivity?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Tried different options depending on how I felt so now trigger is high cycle very high. 

I'm getting a doctor appointment soon, I just wanted to know if an ASV is something that might improve my condition or the vauto bilevel is what I need?
I don't see anything suggesting the need for ASV. No centrals and very consistent tidal volume, minute vent and respiration rate.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Thanks for your feedback!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 11 307 Yesterday, 10:42 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 9 1,574 04-23-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Low OA/H. Still high CA. How to lower them? jakeroviks 1 101 04-21-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 386 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 412 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 395 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  [Pressure] High pressure Tomarovsch 1 136 04-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.