Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone else with no success using CPAP?
Question 
Anyone else with no success using CPAP?
Any other person in this forum who has tried CPAP and feels no difference? How did you overcome it?

Surely I'm not the only person..
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone else with no success using CPAP?
I've been on CPAP about 7 months, with no change in my sleep or how I feel. There doesn't appear to be much difference from the occasional nights when I don't use it at all, other than perhaps having slightly more O2 drops (though my average O2 overnight is about the same). I have a feeling that my issue has more to do with my slow shallow breathing and CAs than it does with any OAs that the CPAP is treating. I have a lot of flow limits - but if I increase my pressure, it increases my CAs. Or maybe I do get some relief from the CPAP, but it's counterbalanced by sleep disruption from all the CPAP gear and annoyance. 
Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone else with no success using CPAP?
Fair question.  I got into sleep apnea treatment about 3 years ago. Probably like most people, I got into it to feel better (and have more energy).  Definitely a good motive.  Fast forward to today:  I feel better when I wake up in the morning.  Not super great every morning.  I am not going to lie.  But, knowing that my AHI (and SPO2) levels are much improved is "success" to me personally from a health prospective.  It is success from a sleep apnea treatment prospective and a bit of an improvement from the feeling standpoint.  

I have seen others here at ApneaBoard with this same question (or similar).  It would seem to me if a person got their AHI (and SPO2) levels near normal (and very importantly: optimized as well as possible) and have used cpap therapy for a good period of time (say a couple of months; or better maybe 6 months or a year even), then if they don't feel better, then I would think that there is another reason for not feeling well.  It may take years to get fully optimized in treatment and some people never get completely optimized IMO (correct machine, correct pressures, acceptable mask, etc.).  Sleep apnea would be ruled out as the cause of feeling bad (or low energy) it seems.  It might take some more effort trying to figure out that piece of the puzzle though. 

Just my opinion from my experience here (and experience working in the healthcare field).  Disagree with me if you want to.  YMMV.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 55 4,128 4 hours ago
Last Post: leono85
  First night on Aircurve 10 VAUTO=success (need optimizing advise) Stubert 3 180 05-13-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: Stubert
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 635,683 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 832 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
Cool Success story. ASV - switched from full face to nasal mask 00derek 2 1,027 11-25-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Another Collar Success Story MickTravis 12 1,982 04-02-2023, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Success! joepublic23 2 635 01-31-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: joepublic23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.