Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Battery pack for Resmed Airsense 10
RE: Battery pack for Resmed Airsense 10
Nevermind, I think I figure it out.

We're talking about two different battery packs. The 24v cable should work fine I think with your first link battery pack.

However, I was referencing using a different portable battery pack altogether which does not do the 24v out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2023, 07:42 AM)maskadon Wrote: Hey vroom,

Yes the battery and cables I listed are direct from battery to cpap machine (AS 11 & 10). I 've used this setup with the 10 when traveling where the power went out at night, used for 6 hours and still had 74% left.  This setup will not work as UPS, for that I use ecoflow products.

Happy Pap'n

Hey Maskadon. Could you tell me a little more about your UPS setup with ecoflow products? I'm researching batteries versus UPS for my cpap and your battery suggestion is by far the best price/performance I've come across. I would love to hear more about your UPS suggested products and your thoughts on UPS in general.
Post Reply Post Reply
"This setup will not work as UPS, for that I use ecoflow products"

I'm curious about this as well. Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
Ac to DC conversion.  The more times you convert power fto/from ac or dc, the more battery loss you will have (*nominally as heat).  Batteries are DC.  Converting battery power to AC, prior to converting AC to DC at the unit is a tremendous waste.  

why not just use a battery that can provide the DC power your unit needs directly?

Phillips Resmed played hinky with power supplies on the resmed9, reversing DC polarity in the machine so you had to buy their $200 adapter.  Otherwise anyone with a power regulator could direct wire a 12v car battery to power their machines.

On the airsense 10, this polarity was reverted to normal.

Per my power supply:  90W AC adapter for resmed airsense 10
Model:  370006
Power out:  +24V 3.75A
Power in:  100-240V 50-60 Hz 1.0-1.5A. Or 115V 400Hz 1.0-1.5A

It is the power out that matters in supplying your unit with DC power, that's what your machine needs from a battery.  USB 2.0 provides 2.5 W of power at 5V DC, or 0.5 A.  USB 3.0 is 10W (5V X 2A),  so those tiny phone chargers won't run your CPAP UNLESS..... you use a buck converter or similar device to safely modify voltage and amperage to the required +24V, 3.37A.  (*which is easily done for under 10 bucks).  

Then you run into power consumption of your unit.  (*plus a tiny loss at the buck converter).
If your unit burns up to 100W per hour on AC, you would need 800Wh plus energy conversion loss of up to 50%, or 1200Wh of battery for an 8 hour rest.

By comparison, direct DC power from battery (*most are wired to 24V inside to reduce energy loss inside the unit) at 3.75A would allow you to use the same device up to 50% longer - because you never had to convert to AC in the first place!  You might find you only need a 600Wh battery to get 8 hours of sleep!  HALF THE BATTERY CAPACITY!

FAA only allows 100Wh, though.  Unless it is on their list of safe to fly batteries.  But you can carry up to 2 replacement batteries for the device.  THAT will let you sleep 4 hours on a plane without AC.   Otherwise plan on a huge expense for batteries.

Me?  I take the Airsense 9 camping.  It is smaller and without humidification, more energy efficient.  I direct wire it to a 12V battery thru a power regulator, remembering to cross the wires at the female power inlet on the machine.  When power goes out at home, using the airsense 10, I have plenty of battery Wh to use it for days off it's AC power adapter.  But when travelling, I want that warm moist air.  I bring a simple power conversion adapter that outputs 115V and a surge suppressor, along with 3 100Wh battery packs to slide into a battery charger/regulator that's got a USB-C to power regulator to resmed airsense 10 plug cobbled onto it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry for my lack of knowldge, but why doesnt this setup work as a ups?
Post Reply Post Reply
To be able to operate as a UPS a battery unit must be able to supply power at the same time as it is being charged.

What is your goal tete?

I've just about finished building a battery backup solution for myself at the house.  It is far from portable  and would not ever be allowed for airline travel.

If you just want to have backup power to camp the requirements are different....

So I see three types of solutions

1. Off the shelf Lithium ion designed for cpap and air travel
2. Small portable for a couple of nightd camping or 'solar generator' - diy or off the shelf
3. Home stationary or minimal portable.  Diy or off the shelf

Mine is number 3 DIY. - I put A lot of details in the thread below.  I also need to power a concentrator.

https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...-as10-as11

Note: charging a battery while running directly off it need more than a simple cable to avoid potential damage because the voltage to charge a 24v battery is around 29v.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 9 250 04-24-2024, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Tmjidaho
  [Equipment] BEFORE YOU BUY A MEDISTROM BATTERY srlevine1 0 179 04-24-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 3 195 04-20-2024, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,644 04-18-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 182 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 27,295 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 177 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.