Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does anyone else feel horrible after standing up after laying down?
Does anyone else feel horrible after standing up after laying down?
I will lay down for a while (no sleep at all, just reading, etc.) then when I stand up I feel really horrible and exhausted.

Anyone else? Or just me.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does anyone else feel horrible after standing up after laying down?
That could be a blood pressure issue. Do you have any issues in your health history?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2019, 04:44 PM)Big Guy Wrote: That could be a blood pressure issue. Do you have any issues in your health history?

Not that I know of. 

I assumed that this i related to the apnea issue of overall low energy. But it really hits my hard once getting up after laying for a while.

I wondered if I'm not getting enough air laying down. An oximeter is suggesting that the 02 level is good enough.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have blood pressure issues. Never had any though, until I was diagnosed with A-Fib and was successfully treated for it. 

Now that my heart is beating normally, I have high blood pressure.  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are napping or sleeping without CPAP, you may be running an oxygen deficit. Normal people however respond to increased CO2 with increased respiration and even a shot of adrenaline to increase heart rate. I doubt your dizziness and fatigue are related to CPAP, however it may be related to apnea or any number of health issues.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It may be orthostatic hypotension. See https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond...c-20352548
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
It most definitely sounds like orthostatic hypotension, the proper route would be to go to a neurologist and ask for a tilt table test. There are 3 sub types of OH you will know which one you are after the test.

I've got it and this journal has been very helpful. Print it out and take it with you to the neuro appointment.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2888469/

The important thing in treatment is to avoid causing supine hypertension.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2019, 04:43 PM)Broomstick Wrote: I will lay down for a while (no sleep at all, just reading, etc.) then when I stand up I feel really horrible and exhausted.

Anyone else? Or just me.

I believe that all of us experience this at times.  I know that mine comes and goes, but it's rare.  It is hypotension, and it can lead to falls...and injury. 

I observed an aunt, perhaps 45 years ago, who had a 24 hour 'flu', but seemed to have recovered the next day.  Upon rising from the toilet next morning, she emerged from the bathroom, but promptly began a very odd stagger (pugilists who have their bell rung do this around the ring) until she literally bounced off the closest wall, upon which she fell backward.  Luckily, she was uninjured.

If you would like to avoid this, do what most learn to do, a version of what pilots do to prevent blacking out as their fighter jets go into a tight turn with high G's.  Tighten your thigh muscles and your nether sphincter, and close your pharynx.  With filled lungs, lift your diaphragm and attempt to expel the air in your lungs against your closed mouth and throat.  Let go, repeat, and then slowly stand.  You will probably feel better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2019, 09:56 AM)mesenteria Wrote:
(05-07-2019, 04:43 PM)Broomstick Wrote: I will lay down for a while (no sleep at all, just reading, etc.) then when I stand up I feel really horrible and exhausted.

Anyone else? Or just me.

With filled lungs, lift your diaphragm and attempt to expel the air in your lungs against your closed mouth and throat.  Let go, repeat, and then slowly stand.  You will probably feel better.

mesenteria you wished well, but i urge you to re-check next time. The first part about tightening the leg muscles is correct. The bolded part however is called 'valsava manouver' and is something you do when you have high heart rate and higher blood pressure. With orthostatic hypotension however, doing this manouver while standing will cause a fainting episode. That's mainly because the valsava manouver causes a reduction in cardiac output which leads to further reduction of blood pressure.

So Broomstick do not perform the manouver! Instead the link I send you in my previous post has a medical journal that describes the correct approach when dealing with Orthostatic Hypotension.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are a number of different issues that can cause problems when going from lying down to standing up. Here are a few simple things to try that might help:
1. Drink more water and increase sodium intake (assuming increasing sodium is not contraindicated by any medical conditions)
2. When you go from a lying to standing position take it slow; sit upright for a couple of minutes and when you first stand up lean against something.
3. When standing be sure you are not locking your knees. Try crossing your legs while standing, tightening leg muscles, and moving toes up and down.

If you have a BP cuff you could take your orthostatic vitals to get a better picture of what is going on with your BP and heart rate when you go from a supine to standing position.
1. Lay down for 5-10 minutes, relax as much as possible (no phone, reading, and limit talking). Take and record a resting BP & HR reading.
2. Sit upright for 2 minutes; keep your feet flat on the floor, don't support your weight with hands or by leaning back against a chair. At the end of the 2 minutes record your sitting BP and HR.
3. Stand upright and still for 5 minutes, avoid supporting body weight by leaning against anything. Take BP and HR readings at 1 minute, 3 minutes, and 5 minutes. **if you begin to feel faint sit down immediately**

With orthostatic hypotension you would expect to see your systolic pressure drop by >20 or your diastolic pressure drop by >10.
Another condition that can cause orthostatic intolerance is POTS. With POTS you would see a sustained heart rate increase of >30 BPM when going from a resting position to standing. Of course taking your orthostatic vitals at home is not a substitution for a proper diagnosis, but it can help you determine what path to pursue with your doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel WORSE after getting Leaks under control - hopeless HarleyGirl63 8 192 Yesterday, 07:15 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How long did it take for you to feel better on CPAP? Pebble 6 215 04-21-2024, 06:59 PM
Last Post: AndyB
  Low AHI scores but feel like I should feel better jake79 7 294 04-19-2024, 08:47 AM
Last Post: jake79
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 7 540 04-10-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 217 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,969 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 1,029 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.