Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help needed
Help needed
Hi all,

Would someone be able to help me understand what is happening here?
AHI is fine for a few hours, then jumps. I think this is my middle of night wakeup time going to the bathroom. 
I also notice at this point the flow rate goes very high. Why?
These are also mostly CA events. 

Regards,

Steve

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help needed
Your min pressure is not high enough to use the EPR (exhale Pressure Relief).  I won't spend much time on this but All cpap machine can only go as low as 4 and no more.  When you use EPR the min 5 Epr 3 the exhale (min) is 4 because that is as low as it can gol  YOu need to raise the imn to at least 7Min -3epr=4 inhale

Leave all other settings the same and change min 7
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, 

I'll give that a go. What if I turn EPR off?

Regards,

Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want to try that it is fine.  You should not feel much difference and see if the events are less. But I would still raise the min to 7. 4 is to low for most adults, 4 would be for a child.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks,

I only plan to make one change at a time.
Post Reply Post Reply
hey SteveC

you might have high loop gain, which sort of means that your breathing pattern can be disturbed into a feedback loop quite easily. Also worth noting are the leaks that coincide with the cluster of CAs. Leaks are known to cause and exacerbate CAs, so I recommend taming them, despite them already being relatively low on average. It's proposed that this happens because the leak washes out the anatomical deadspace, washing out some of the CO2 that is responsible for building your respiratory drive.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2024, 12:10 AM)CPAPfriend Wrote: hey SteveC

Also worth noting are the leaks that coincide with the cluster of CAs. Leaks are known to cause and exacerbate CAs, so I recommend taming them, despite them already being relatively low on average. 

Interesting. Not sure how I can reduce leaks, mask fit seems ok, perhaps the mask is moving during the night.

I have attached last night data, seems to show the same thing. some of the leak rate spikes are due to me taking the mask off to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Post Reply Post Reply
Here are some tips on reducing leak, SteveC:  

Mask Primer

Absolutely great point CPAPfriend (and great thinking) about leaks and increased CA's by reducing the anatomical dead space in the mask (filled with CO2).  An EERs increases this space (and Co2).  I have seen leaks lining up with CA's in charts, but couldn't understand the correlation (why).  

Interestingly, the area from the tip of the nose to the larynx (area through the turbinates) makes up around 25% of the anatomical dead space.  I didn't realize it was that big.  So longer, more forceful exhalations can significantly reduce CO2 also.  And shorter the opposite.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks,

Here is last night's data. I think I might have started mouth breathing again, as I wake up with a very dry mouth. I do have a chin strap, but stopped using it as the mouth breathing went way, as a Resmed tech said it would.

Last night is interesting, AHI shot up markedly in the first few hours, then settled down. not sure what this indicates.

I am also using the Resmed N30I mask as I have a full beard

Regards,

Steve

Post Reply Post Reply
Have you posted a redacted copy of your sleep study?  That would help us a lot in figuring out what is going on.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 202 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Chart help needed SteveC 4 225 04-07-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 440 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help needed how to use cpap on a plane June11 3 214 04-02-2024, 11:09 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,737 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 201 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 137 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.