Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member from Down Under
New member from Down Under
G'day (Hello) 

I am a 15 year CPAP user and thought it was about time to get serious about understanding and optimising my therapy.

I'm 67, about 160Kg (360lb), 1.88m (5' 10") and bearded. I use a Dreamstation Auto with an Aptiva Large Wide nasal mask. My initial diagnostic sleep study reported AHI of 100+ but is now generally under 5. I had septoplasty surgery shortly after the sleep study.  I had major Atrial Fibrillation problems along with other heart issues from June 2018 until January 2022 when surgery managed to restore my heart to 'normal' - although it is only the last couple of months that the brain fog and cognitive impairments seem to have largely lifted.

I do not have a sleep therapist and all the settings on my subsequent CPAP machines are a mix of leaving my initial prescribed settings intact along with occasional user error in changing things without knowing why. 

A week ago I decided to lower the minimum pressure from 13 to 11.5 - it seemed sensible to reduce pressure because my system spent about 97% of the time at the lowest pressure. In the week since the pressure reduction, the pressure is still mainly at the lowest setting, should I reduce it further? if so, how far? 

For about 50% of nights, my CPAP reports the night as being broken into session lengths of 1hr - but the other 50% of nights have sleep sessions of about 3hrs which is when my bladder wakes me up. 

I would appreciate any insights into my current situation along with any suggestions of reading or research that might move me nearer my goal of improved health.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member from Down Under
You've heard this at least a million times, but it's true, Lose Weight. That's all I'll say about that.

Your flow rate looks very irregular so I'm suspecting UARS. For having a drreamstation you are holding a pressure relief of around 2.5 which is in and of itself remarkable.

Post several random 3-minute views so we can get a better view of what is going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2024, 10:49 PM)Gideon Wrote: Post several random 3-minute views so we can get a better view of what is going on.

Post Reply Post Reply
Chart 1:
Some flat tops show flow limitations.
An arousal prior to the hypopnea resulting in holding your breath
overall not too bad.

Chart2:
Significantly lower peaks for this segment indicate (see below) a combination of oral/mouth and nasal breathing or The amplitude says flow-limited breathing this entire segment.
Going with the above this also shows classic expiratory mouth breathing.

Chart 3:
Reduced volume to start with indicating flow limited breathing leading to
again holding your breath, This is a period of obstruction leading to
you once again to holding your breath
then a obvious flow limit
followed by a period of tapering down then
repeating a recovery period
Your Dreamstation reported this entire segments variable breathing.

Assuming these segments are typical I think you may benefit from a Bilevel with a greater difference between exhale and inhale (PS) than your DreamStation can provide.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=58071 Wrote:Gideon pid='498010' dateline='1704512940']For having a drreamstation you are holding a pressure relief of around 2.5 which is in and of itself remarkable.

I don't know enough (yet) to understand this.  Do Dreamstations have problems with EPR? 

I have a Resmed Airsense 10 sitting in the cupboard, should I swap machines? 

A week ago I dropped the minimum pressure from 13 to 11.5. Every night since the Min and Med pressure has been 11.5 - the 95% is 12.5 and the highest 99.5% through the week has been 13.0 - 13.5. I'm thinking of lowering it again, probably to 10-17; would you suggest I don't do that?

Post Reply Post Reply
YES! It's fantastic you have Resmed. The Philips machines use "Flex" to make the transitions between inhale and exhale smoother, but they don't really provide a bilevel pressure like the Resmed with EPR which acts like bilevel with inhale pressure (IPAP) up to 3-cm H2O higher than exhale (EPAP). It is the pressure difference that allows the device to effectively treat flow limitation and hypopnea by giving a pressure boost (pressure support) during inspiration. If your Resmed is the Autoset model, the auto-pressure algorithm is much more responsive than Philips and will ensure a lower likelihood of obstructive events.

Post back with information on what model of Resmed you own, and whether you know how to access the clinical menu (home button + control knob). If you have the Autoset, then a pressure range of 9.0 to 12.0 with EPR full-time at setting 3 should work great. If it is the Elite, then fixed pressure at 11.0 with EPR 3 should be a good start.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
2 nights ago I swapped from a DreamStation to an AirSense 10 Autoset

Pressure was further dropped from 11.5-17 to 11.5-17

Last night was 3 sleep sessions - 2 bathroom visits. I clearly have issues with my sleeping position I don't normally move at all when asleep, I wake up where I went to sleep. Sessions 1 and 3 I slept on my left side, session 2 on my right side. 

During the 6hrs on my left - 9 Obstructive apnoeas
During the 3hrs on my right - 9 Obstructive apnoeas, 8 Hypopnoeas, 6 Large leaks 

(01-10-2024, 12:45 AM)AussieBobJ Wrote: Oops - pressure was  dropped from 11.5-17 to 10-17
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 238 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,121 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,645 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 1,085 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 503 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog
  New Member Intro and OSCAR charts DaveInDenver 2 473 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: DaveInDenver
  New Member Newly Diagnosed Help With Interpreting lauradeaton 0 397 06-04-2023, 07:20 PM
Last Post: lauradeaton

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.