Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep aids or weight gain
Sleep aids or weight gain
I'm wondering if sleep aids could be an issue with my CPAP treatment?
One night no sleep aids Nov 9 AHI 2.91 and the next night with a sleeping pill AHI 5.88
It seems like any time I take a sleep aid my AHI goes higher.
I did also gain some weight (10# = 210#)
Any observations appreciated, Thanx

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep aids or weight gain
Are you basing your observations on single readings or are the results reproducible and relatively constant over time?
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there,
Just a quick observation over a few days, nothing long term. Got a 14 AHI one night then 2.91 then 5.88 AHI
Seems my Oscar readings are wacky...not really consistent.
I have just started looking into Oscar and my data and have been working towards a comfortable setting for sleep. I have my FL down to 95% = 0 with EPR = 3 which is comfortable for sleeping for me. But I'm really not sure of the other readings or where to go from here.
Just thought sleep aids might be an issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
It appears that you are closing in on your pressure limit of 12.0. Might I suggest you change your upper limit to 14.0 and post your results again? I suspect other forum members will have additional comments after the holiday.

I look at trends rather than individual readings as I do not attempt to "chase the numbers/"
In the final analysis, it's all about how you feel as you treat the patient, not the machine.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you srlevine1
I will raise it to 14 and keep track of the results
Post Reply Post Reply
Would you please do a zoom of 3 mins or so on an area of the chart with multiple CA’s? Maybe around the 04:00 mark?

I had something similar and most were either arousals or some minor chin-tucking. A bit more pressure, a bit less EPR/PS, and new soft cervical collar got rid of most of them.

And yes, sleep meds can negatively impact sleep quality. You may stay asleep longer, but it may not be a qualitative sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PeaceLaP

Thank you for looking at this post.
Here is a screenshot of the first chart AHI 2.91 and also a new chart on Nov 11 with a closeup of CAs
I did raise my pressure and was comfortable but AHI is 8.11 FL = 0
Tonight I will lower my EPR to 2 and see what happens.
I sleep on my side with a flatter pillow. Chin tucking may be a possibility but I don't know for sure.

Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=56064]Thanks, but can you zoom in a bit further? Get it down to a 3-4 min zoom so we can see the waveforms.

I think your idea to drop EPR is a good one. I would go a bit further and change the range to 8-15 EPR 2 so we can see how the machine titrates against the OSA.

If you would consider getting a soft cervical collar that would help rule out chin tucking. Here’s a chart to help with the sizing if you do go that route.

[attachment=56064]
Post Reply Post Reply
I can say that sleep aids and other drugs can for sure affect how you do.

This is comparing to long term trend data for myself.  Your mileage may vary, but here are the ones that affect me and don't.

I have sciatica and arthritic pain so I take a combo of different things at different times, all dr prescribed)

Drugs I am prescribed and how they affect me - 

Trazodone doesn't much (sleep aid)- a few more than normal OSA
Methocarbomol (Muscle relaxers) - many more OSA events
Flexeril (Muscle relaxers)  - More CSA
Opiods - many many more OSA (it is a respiratory suppressant so no shock here)
Butrans patch (once a week to lessen the need for oxy from 4 a day to 4 a weekish)
Gabapentin - no effect other than it kills the nerve pain so I can sleep

OTC
NSAIDs - no effectMelatonin makes me sleep worse - I have many more CSA.  ( I know it is natural and your body generates it, but as a supplement it acts different for me)
Benadryl - antihistamine - no effect
Dextromethorphan  (cough suppressant) - more OSA
Afrin nasal spray - better when I have a stuffy nose - but DON'T exceed 4 days or you have to withdraw from it
Sudafed (the real stuff from behind the counter) - better and can use it for the whole allergy season without issues
flonase/nasonex - no effect - they work long term so I don't notice an over night change.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PeaceLaP

Here are a new set of graphs from Nov 11
I really don't know much of what I'm looking at but am studying/reading the manual.
10-14 cmH20 and EPR3

I am going to set EPR to 2 and see what transpires...will post those graphs next
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 8 510 05-21-2024, 03:06 PM
Last Post: HenryECole81
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 5 346 04-30-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 4 437 04-28-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Realistic effect of weight loss/smaller neck measurement Fox66 9 362 04-22-2024, 04:08 AM
Last Post: Fox66
  tidal volume formula height/weight eok361 5 356 04-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 10 569 04-04-2024, 03:18 AM
Last Post: bushinc
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 309 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.