Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What's the latest on the connection between PTSD and OSA/UARS?
What's the latest on the connection between PTSD and OSA/UARS?
Question is in the title.

I don't have a formal diagnosis, but I've had quite a bit of trauma in my life and so I've been interested in the connection between PTSD and OSA and UARS.  I read in the books by Dr Barry Krakow that he found in his practice that patients with a lot of anxiety and trauma were the ones who struggled the most to use CPAP.  He, and others, have worked to find a link between PTSD and UARS, and from what I've gathered, clinicians have observed a link but they don't know if PTSD causes OSA/UARS, or if people predisposed to OSA/UARS are also predisposed to develop PTSD, or if the link could be bidirectional.

Furthermore, we don't know of a particular causal mechanism.  The only theory I know of is that people with PTSD may spend more time in NREM 2 sleep and SDB events happen more in NREM 2 than NREM 3.

Is there anything new in the last decade or so?

What's the latest on PTSD and OSA/UARS?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Maybe UARS? Overnight Ox Results Nospoons 2 95 Yesterday, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Nospoons
Question Pressure Settings for UARS Mild Apnea, Airsense 10 risherwood 3 101 Yesterday, 06:12 AM
Last Post: risherwood
  Diagnosed with UARS just got CPAP with mask need help setting it up nicchamilton 3 131 04-25-2024, 10:48 AM
Last Post: nicchamilton
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 19 715 04-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: ewriter
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 130 04-23-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New to BiPAP, hoping for titration assistance? (Probable UARS) Easing5319 15 1,207 04-17-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  PSG Results: Could this be UARS? deebob 260 18,650 04-17-2024, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.