Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP
[split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP
Hello,
I am interested in anyone's experience with Central Apnea and Complex Apnea. Has anyone developed Treatment Emergent Central Apnea since starting on CPAP treatment?

My in lab sleep test indicated a diagnosis of complex apnea. I had not used a CPAP machine before this diagnosis. The central apnea was present from the first sleep study. I have a theory about why I have Central Apnea that is related to a 5 day period when I was intubated while I was in ICU following a serious motorcycle crash. I was fully conscious during the 5 days I was intubated. (that was a terrible experience)

I have had nothing but frustration since I started using a CPAP in August 2023. I started with the AirCurve 10 Air Sense and transitioned to the AirCurve 10 ASV on the advice of the ResMed tech based on my history with the 1st machine and my diagnosis. I have tried 4 different masks. I use the Philips DreamWare Full Face Mask with mixed results. I think the main issue for me is the CPAP settings - not the mask.

I have a high OSA score with 35-45 events per hour. I was also diagnosed with Central Apnea. The treatment for Complex apnea has been unsuccessful. Recently I had COVID and could not use the CPAP at all for about 3 weeks. I just started using it about 4 days ago. I have not been able to tolerate the device and cannot fall alseep while wearing the mask. After 30 minutes of trying to breath "calmly" I have to stop. I am having the sensation of hyperventilation when the pressure suddenly increases. I think when I have a central apnea event he machine the pressure gets so high that I have to fight the machine to exhale.

It's really awful and my doctor insists I use the prescribed settings for 3 weeks so he can evaluate the data and change the settings. He says I still having too many events. I am almost to the point of giving up. The insurance company is waiting for my doctor to report on my progress. If I don't show improvement the insurance company will stop paying for the machine rental.

I welcome any feedback.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP
John, it will really help if you will download and install the free OSCAR program which will give us detailed information on what is going on in your therapy. You have a Resmed Aircurve 10 bilevel, but we don't know which one. There are settings that can improve results for central and complex apnea, but we really need to get a handle on why they are a problem and where your settings are currently. I'm sure we can get you on track with your Aircurve 10, or coach you on approaching the doctor to change to the correct therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeprider,
Thanks for the help. I will send the sleep study notes when I can attach files.
Post Reply Post Reply
Image and file attachments are available to all new members, but you won't be able to link to files hosted remotely until after 4 posts. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 20 769 Yesterday, 02:53 AM
Last Post: stevew168
Question Sudden increase in central apneas eyeloveeyez 1 62 04-25-2024, 05:09 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 8 383 04-22-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: joeblough
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,737 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,652 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 165 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,183 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.