Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice please! (Newbie)
RE: Advice please! (Newbie)
Having had a chance to examine the data, it seems to me like I had most of my events when I am in the Sleep-Onset phase. Firstly when I am falling asleep for the first time around 00:48 and then I seem to wake up at around 2:51 and have many events that lead to me deciding to take off the mask. The other events look to be preceded by a deep breath which I have seem indicate a False Indication which may be caused by changing position?
Post Reply Post Reply
The centrals look to be based on arousal, but we were assuming UARS was a reason for setting EPR at 3. Your 95% flow limit was only 0.01 so, cut back on EPR to 1 or 2 and let's see if that makes you more comfortable. Pressure will be revised downward based on this. Minimum pressure 7.0, Maximum pressure 9.0 EPR 1 or 2 for comfort.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there. I wasn't able to fall asleep using the device last night. I would be dozing off and would be woken up by the machine responding to my shallow breathing / centrals. This has never happened before and I decided to take it off. Should I have persevered? I still had a pretty bad night of very light sleep / lots of awakenings without it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, your "shallow" breathing resulted in a median tidal volume of 580 mL and minute vent of 7.5 L/min. Compare that to your usual 440 / 6.0 and your breathing was anything but shallow. Sometimes anxiety gets the better of us and we don't sleep well. I awakened sometime before dawn and couldn't get back to sleep. It happens and usually has nothing to do with the therapy, but it's the only thing you're aware of, so it gets the blame. Tonight you'll be more tired and will sleep better. Don't worry.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2021, 09:16 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Well, your "shallow" breathing resulted in a median tidal volume of 580 mL and minute vent of 7.5 L/min.  Compare that to your usual 440 / 6.0 and your breathing was anything but shallow.  Sometimes anxiety gets the better of us and we don't sleep well.  I awakened sometime before dawn and couldn't get back to sleep. It happens and usually has nothing to do with the therapy, but it's the only thing you're aware of, so it gets the blame.  Tonight you'll be more tired and will sleep better. Don't worry.

I think you're right. If I compare it to the last chart I had the same periods of CA that settled once I'd fallen asleep. Cheers!
Post Reply Post Reply
Could it be worth turning RAMP on to smooth the transition or is that irrelevant?
Post Reply Post Reply
You can try ramp, but try to start it at a reasonable therapeutic pressure, not 4.0, and use the Auto function. I don't find ramp to be particularly useful for most people, and you're complaint is not comfort, but a sleep transition issue. I'm not sure ramp is going to help considering your pressures are already low at 7/6, and don't seem to rise much. In fact if you're concerned about your pressure, just set the therapy minimum pressure to 6.0. You don't have obstructive events, and that should be fine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Much better night according in terms of events. Woke up as per usual at around 3am and struggled to get back to sleep - ended up taking mask off at around 5am.

Post Reply Post Reply
Uploads from last night - how is this looking?

Post Reply Post Reply
The question is, how is it feeling? I actually think you might do fine with fixed pressure at 6.0 or limit the pressure range from 6.0 minimum to 7.0 maximum.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed S9 AutoSet - Extreme Newbie Richg44006 17 7,004 5 hours ago
Last Post: jean23
  2 Night on CPAP! Need Advice ed2397 1 116 04-23-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 24 1,078 04-22-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 201 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,627 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 133 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 219 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.