Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit F30i Leakage
AirFit F30i Leakage
Hi all,

I'm a fairly new CPAP user with an AirSense 10 Autoset (diagnosed with mild apnea, AHI = 10). I tried the P10 nasal pillows for a while but found that I was having considerable leakage (probably from a combination of mouth breathing and tossing/turning while asleep). My leak rate per OSCAR is usually between 10-20. My current pressure settings are 6-10 with ramp.

Someone suggested the F30i mask to help manage the leaks - I bought the mask and am trying it out, but have found that at higher pressures (7+), the air starts to blow out of the bottom part of the mask that surrounds my mouth (it's just a soft flap of plastic and the air just starts pushing through that flap). The rest of the headgear is fairly tight already, so I'm not sure what more can be done to stop the leak.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I can eliminate this leak?

TIA!

Franko
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirFit F30i Leakage
I've trialed the F30i.  I really like the feel of the mask and followed all guidelines we give to folk on how to tame leaks in the Mask Primer.

I know what you mean by the bottom of the mask just being a thin piece of plastic/silicone? I found that unless I strapped that mask down to a point of causing discomfort, Sad it was going to leak. I finally gave it up. I might at some point go back to it. I need to research and see if a mask liner might help. Have you consider Using a mask liner?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use an FFM, model F40.

Make sure the mask size is correct for you. Also, if your jaw drops, your face will change shape. I was horrified when I looked in the mirror the other night after I couldn’t get my mask to cooperate, and my face looked like a cabbage patch doll. No wonder the mask was leaky compared with earlier in the night: I have an early-sleep-stage face and a REM face. No way would the same mask work for both! I began to use a cervical collar to keep my face less susceptible to the jello-look, and I lowered the pressure by 1 on the inhale. The combined effect is low leakage and < 5 AHI. I’ll probably stick with that for the time being until I have a chance to really adapt, and I can see how my sleep is responding, then re-assess if needed.

So, you might want to check a few ideas to keep your jaw from dropping. Does your mouth get super dry, too?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2024, 11:15 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: I use an FFM, model F40.

Make sure the mask size is correct for you. Also, if your jaw drops, your face will change shape. I was horrified when I looked in the mirror the other night after I couldn’t get my mask to cooperate, and my face looked like a cabbage patch doll. No wonder the mask was leaky compared with earlier in the night: I have an early-sleep-stage face and a REM face. No way would the same mask work for both! I began to use a cervical collar to keep my face less susceptible to the jello-look, and I lowered the pressure by 1 on the inhale. The combined effect is low leakage and < 5 AHI. I’ll probably stick with that for the time being until I have a chance to really adapt, and I can see how my sleep is responding, then re-assess if needed.

So, you might want to check a few ideas to keep your jaw from dropping. Does your mouth get super dry, too?

That's interesting, I hadn't considered mouth shape changes when asleep! My mouth doesn't get too dry usually (unless I've successfully slept with the CPAP on all night, which is a win itself). I'll maybe consider a cervical collar too, as a potential option.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 98 8,344 Yesterday, 05:55 AM
Last Post: charlie*M
  Can anyone with Airfit P10 Give input Alfons 8 246 05-14-2024, 08:06 AM
Last Post: AshSF
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 2 547 05-04-2024, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Melman
  [Equipment] Resmed F30i Mask ditron1 10 478 05-04-2024, 06:02 PM
Last Post: cps22
  EERS using Resmed AirFit P30i Mask GrantT 8 1,418 05-02-2024, 09:21 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote
  F30 vs F30i cps22 2 312 05-01-2024, 11:03 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Airfit P10 Passive Venting Alfons 3 181 04-30-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: Alfons

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.