Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Is there an Auto CPAP machine that does NOT light up at all?
Is there an Auto CPAP machine that does NOT light up at all?
Q: Is there a CPAP machine that doesn’t display any light at all during the night, either as a setting or by default?

If they all light up, are there any that use amber/red light instead of white/blue light?

DETAILS ABOUT WHY I ASK (because I always write long posts in an era of TLDR)

I am using a DreamStation as described in my UserCP settings.

I’m pretty new to CPAP, but have had 40+ years’ experience of SLEEPING.

I’m oddly sensitive to many things. One of those things is ambient light during the night. Light interupst my sleep. I often wake up during the full moon, for example, because too much light seeps in around my blackout curtains.

The DreamStation has an unpleasant pulsing white LED when it is plugged in but switched off, but that (thank GOD!) disappears once I’ve turned on the therapy. If I get up at night to use the bathroom (check on my kids, etc.~happens most nights), I shut off the machine and then the horrible white light blasts out trying to share My Info. I think this behavior is impacting my quality of sleep in the second half of the night. 

I don’t use my phone/iPad at night for the same reason, so this isn’t specific to the CPAP. I even cover my (adjustable brightness, already on lowest setting) clock face with a hankie to dim it further, though its orange LEDs are less arousing than white/blue light.

Perhaps a travel CPAP exists with no display? But I’d still prefer to record my data!...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is there an Auto CPAP machine that does NOT light up at all?
Take a small piece of card board and cover the screen. You can use one piece of tape at the top so it can be flipped up and down. Easy fix.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe if you have space in a nearby dresser or desk drawer, put the CPAP in there. A smallish hole in the back to allow the hose and power cord to enter, and there should be enough air to operate OK.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also am very sensitive to any light at all in my bedroom, I use black electrical tape over any stray LED indicator lights (like on the power brick) and a piece of black-out fabric over the machine display.
Post Reply Post Reply
"often wake up during the full moon, for example, "

You don't notice anything else like longer teeth or extra hair everywhere, I hope.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
Light sensitivity has to be tough.   I understand that you could possibly get your own place to your liking but going to a motel or going camping would have to be out of the question.   I like the cardboard taped over the light idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Surprised 
Later versions of the dreamstation firmware enable the light sensor so the screen dims at night take a look at this thread http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...n+firmware
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you considered a soft eye mask at night?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I struggle to sleep because of light sensitivity as well. 

My CPAP is the PR DreamStation. 

It is placed on the floor under the side of the bed, and a chest of drawers buts up against the side of the bed as well, so some of the light is blocked.
I also put a box of tissues on the floor in front of the screen to block more of the light ( the tissues are vital because CPAP irritates 
my sinuses very badly and I suffer a very runny nose and sneezing episodes at times during the night )

The blinds in the bedroom are not overly light proof - so I have two different eye masks, one that goes over the CPAP mask frame in such a way that it still sits against my face to block the light, and another that I use when sleeping without using my CPAP.

My sleep quality has vastly improved since I started using the eye masks, and I can even sleep in the daytime in the back of the car when I need a nap on a long highway trip.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for suggestions, everyone.

Lycanthropy seems to have been ruled out by how much of my hair has fallen OUT since I developed an autoimmune condition.  Wink 

Furniture might be a long term solution given that I will have to completely rearrange my bedroom (and replace some furniture) if I ever want to so much as use the humidifier with my DreamStation. (The front part alone just fits in my tiny space.)

My bed is currently on the only (short) wall without a baseboard heater, and, until I have a bed with a sturdy headboard, I don't feel safe moving it and its soft coverings that will fall down onto a heater. Once that's addressed, I'll probably buy a much larger bedside table that can hide the CPAP and accommodate the full device. Right now? Not really. If I'd gotten the CPAP in summer, I'd have moved the bed already and started shopping for furniture...

The DreamStation manual specifically forbids both placing the machine on carpet (which I have) and putting it near a heater, so the floor doesn't work, either. (Nor am I always nimble enough to reach far enough to push the button down there, or bend knees to get there if I get up out of bed. Stupid arthritis.)

I have worn an eye mask for years, but I'm not finding that it plays nicely with my CPAP masks. It works better with the one that pokes me in the nose, but seems to channel air into my dry eyes with my more comfortable, less well fitting under-nose model. That, and it is one more thing to wrap around my head, which is still irritating the hell out of me. (Silk cap to protect fragile hair, CPAP mask, fit glasses back on to read before bed, then, when tired, try to get eye mask into place without directing cold air at my eyeballs... Grr!)

It'll have to be cardboard and tape for now, I suppose. I would totally upgrade the firmware if I owned the device, but I don't want to be accused of damaging someone else's property if I brick the machine.

I still say it is an obvious failure at the design level to make a NIGHT TIME USE device emit blue light at all during its normal operation. It's not necessary, so why do something known to negatively affect sleep quality... for patients with a SLEEP PROBLEM?!? Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any personal experiences with BMC Luna GII 2.4 Auto Machine Yuley 6 5,322 04-24-2024, 06:01 AM
Last Post: suncho
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 265,620 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 254 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 180 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 214 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 430 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 917 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.