Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Lactic acidosis in the lungs
Lactic acidosis in the lungs
I've been using cpap for about 8 or so years.

I have suffered from Lactic acidosis in my lungs when after a surgery in the recovery, I was still on the ventilator.  I woke up while still intubated.  My lungs were fighting the machine and could feel my lungs burning badly as I was not getting air.

That said, it has always left me wondering why we dont get woken up by Lactic acidosis in the lungs ? With my cpap I only have about 3  events per hour on avg. But even before my cpap, I never woke up from my lungs burning. I would think we would but I dont konw so I ask ? Thanks for any insight.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Lactic acidosis in the lungs
Just to be clear on our terminology, this is what I'm thinking of when you say lactic acidosis.

That being said, I doubt most apneas are long enough to cause this.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
Full invasive ventilation is normally done with sedation and intubation. Ventilation differs greatly from CPAP and bilevel positive air pressure in many ways, but basically, CPAP and BPAP are driven by spontaneous respiratory drive, while ventilation intends to shut-down spontaneous respiration and perform all respiratory function to trigger inspiration and cycle to expiration. If you fight the ventilator due to being conscious, that can cause injury. Do you not understand the differences in how these devices function? CPAP is not a ventilator.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Might I suggest you download OSCAR to track your therapy progress and post a few snapshots to improve the quality of advice from forum members?
Best, Steve
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I was using my real world example of when I experienced the lactic acid build up in my lungs, when I was in recovery room.

My question is when someone needs a cpap but does not have one (for whatever reason) , how often or rare does patient have any complaints to include burning feeling in the lungs ? Due to lack of Oxygen getting to the lung tissue from not breathing?
Post Reply Post Reply
Burning feeling is probably rare. I would think this indicates a rather serious medical condition with getting checked out possibly with urgent care rather ASAP. I am not currently on any CPAP related therapy, need a ventilator class machine, and have Emphysema COPD. And I don't have burning lungs. If you do, then maybe the burning is attempting to get you to take action, probably now.

Maybe your oxygen levels are low. Take a pulse oximeter reading. If you don't have one, get a recording oximeter. If it's an oxygen deprived state, CPAP isn't good enough. You're possibly talking about supplemental oxygen. But I'm not the doctor. Find one and get checked.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good nightly AHI, but lungs feel a bit taxed and still a little tired 8TheGreat 2 701 06-06-2022, 10:27 PM
Last Post: RainbowFish
  pressure and lungs pains Gorge 5 869 05-10-2022, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  pain in my lungs koy23 4 1,209 01-02-2022, 05:06 PM
Last Post: Geer1
  Irritated lungs/chest/throat Davidacarrick 5 1,119 07-31-2020, 05:45 AM
Last Post: ardenum
  Lungs Too Full vailgal 11 3,039 08-07-2017, 06:30 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Does long term humidifier use affect lungs? Russatrice 11 3,524 12-06-2016, 06:27 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  Lungs taken a beating Hornnumb2 5 1,589 02-29-2016, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Hornnumb2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.