Newbie with Questions! LOTS OF QUESTIONS!
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

RE: Newbie with Questions! LOTS OF QUESTIONS!
Hi sleepyandsad,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you in getting your helpth problems straightened out and also with your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
04-12-2015 03:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

(04-12-2015 02:18 PM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote:  My blood pressure has been creeping up for a while. I also had a red face a lot even though I felt fine. Heart rate has kept creeping up too, and a constant feeling of my heart pounding.

Supplementing with magnesium has helped me manage the blood pressure without medication. Also have been using Cardia Salt instead of regular salt (has potassium). From what little research I've done, it sounds like sodium, magnesium, and potassium need to be in the right balance. I believe that's why reducing sodium intake helps. (because magnesium levels in food has been declining over the last few decades)

Getting the apneas in check has helped with the heart pounding, and I'm finding that my sleeping and awake heart rate is trending back down now.

Part of the reason that magnesium levels have reduced is because almost all of the magnesium has been removed from table salt in order to keep it from blocking up in the containers. The magnesium chloride that coexists with sodium chloride in most sources of table salt attracts moisture with such rapacity that it will actually steal moisture from silica gel. As a result the magnesium chloride is removed from table salt and it flows freely even when the humidity is high.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
04-12-2015 06:51 PM
worn_out_in_lebanon Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed A10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F20 (newest Resmed ffm)
Humidifier: Included, ClimateLine tubing
CPAP Pressure: 13-15, EPR:0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: I.T. Project Manager. Started CPAP therapy March 16, 2015. Untreated AHI 39.

Sex: Male

(04-12-2015 08:55 AM)sleepyandsad Wrote:  I've just downloaded the sleepyhead software. I have no idea how to use it

There's a long tutorial at the top of the forum.
I skimmed it. The first part talks about the basics.

I mainly use it to see what type of events, how long are the events, and what pressures are being used. It's pretty easy to use.

(04-12-2015 08:55 AM)sleepyandsad Wrote:  I had no idea that I could actually monitor myself. Is that normal?

Around here, definitely yes. Smile
"Out there in the wild" - not so much.

(04-12-2015 08:55 AM)sleepyandsad Wrote:  the past 3 nights I've had "Events per hour" around 3. Since my original sleep study showed just 9 events per hour, I'm assuming I'm not doing so well. My pressure goes up to anywhere between 10-14 per my sleep info on the machine

Well you're doing 3 times better than before, so that's a pretty good improvement! We'll know more when you can post the breakdown of the types of events - OA vs HA vs CA.

How you're feeling is a pretty useful factor too.

(04-12-2015 06:51 PM)PaytonA Wrote:  Part of the reason that magnesium levels have reduced is because almost all of the magnesium has been removed from table salt in order to keep it from blocking up in the containers. The magnesium chloride that coexists with sodium chloride in most sources of table salt attracts moisture with such rapacity that it will actually steal moisture from silica gel. As a result the magnesium chloride is removed from table salt and it flows freely even when the humidity is high.

Interesting... I had not run across that tidbit of information before. So the salt may not be as healthy as before, but it sure does flow well. Gotta have your priorities. Smile
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2015 07:01 PM by worn_out_in_lebanon.)
04-12-2015 06:58 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hypopnea-Clear Airway Questions Zippo 7 181 Yesterday 10:45 PM
Last Post: Zippo
  New member with questions. Junior7734 10 459 12-02-2016 09:35 PM
Last Post: Junior7734
  [split] Phillips-Respironics DreamWear questions somnia16 6 688 11-19-2016 07:13 PM
Last Post: mcsheltie
  Best Night Yet (And a Few Questions) Spy Car 6 284 11-19-2016 05:57 PM
Last Post: Spy Car
  Questions for anyone who has tried Transcend Mini Auto CPAP rdavis 3 243 11-04-2016 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Chart & Mask Questions mcsheltie 9 344 11-02-2016 01:52 PM
Last Post: mcsheltie
  [CPAP] First week and some questions cedrorum 7 284 10-28-2016 06:12 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred