Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

URGENT issue FAA approval for international travel?
URGENT issue FAA approval for international travel?

So I'm (supposed to be) flying to Ireland on the 28th ...
two days from now...

I just learned that Aer Lingus the airline on which I am flying requires that my doctor sign a form from them that I do required CPAP therapy...
Hopefully I can get that done tomorrow.

BUT my other problem is that they want the machine to be stamped "FAA Approved" my Devilbiss does NOT have that stamped...

I'm OK with not using it on the plane ... so I guess that will work out, but I wanted to warn others about international travel ... Lolabove

and ask what experiences other have had that might be useful to share? Oh-jeez

Thanks,
Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: URGENT issue FAA approval for international travel?
I flew Air France and never had a problem. I opened the bag at security showed the the hose and said "breathing machine". That was it. The issue is just if they will allow it as carry on without counting it against your carry-on allowance, not will they allow it on the plane. The FAA Approved might be if you plan on using it while on the plane.
Post Reply Post Reply
I carry a copy of my prescription and a copy that machine is FAA approved. I got this type approval from the TSA website. (I think)

I think I can also carry a quantity of distilled water. Don't pack it. Carry it in your hand.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-26-2016, 02:06 PM)chill Wrote: I flew Air France and never had a problem. I opened the bag at security showed the the hose and said "breathing machine". That was it. The issue is just if they will allow it as carry on without counting it against your carry-on allowance, not will they allow it on the plane. The FAA Approved might be if you plan on using it while on the plane.

Thanks Chill ... I've flown with mine before and one one ever asked anything beyond what it was ... but then i've never flown internationally with it!
I appreciate your reply!

Thanks,
Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
I've taken mine on Qantas, Virgin, Garuda, Singapore, Scoot, Thai, Bangkok and a bunch of regional operators. Nobody has ever queried it. The only interest anybody ever showed was a security guy in Perth who'd just been diagnosed and wanted some advice on what machine to buy.

I suspect Aer Lingus might assume you want to use it on board, in which case there could conceivably be concerns about voltage compatibility and electromagnetic radiation. But no other airline has ever raised that as a concern with me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks ... I called them back earlier today and said:

"Hey I don't want to USE it on the plane, I'm just taking it with me as luggage... do I have to fill out your (silly ... I didn't say that) form and get my doctor to sign it just so I can carry my machine to Ireland ....

the answer was: "Yes, please" ....

Dont-know

Thanks for your help -... I'll see if I can get my Dr. to sign the form tomorrow as this is an important trip for me and I don't want to screw it up ....
if it doesn't work out .. I'll wing it....

Oh-jeez

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
I carry a letter of medical necessity just in case. I carry my machine on so I am sure to have it with me if my suitcase gets lost. Never been asked for the letter but I have had to open up the carrying case for inspection.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
thanks Rich!
Good tip - I have a copy of my Rx for the machine I'll tuck it in with the unit!
Like you never check mine ...

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is your FAA approval letter: http://www.resmed.com/assets/documents/s...r_eng1.pdf
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks SleepRider

I'll be blasting off tomorrow morning ...
"Come hell or high-water"

I'm not sure why the big hub-bub is needed when I just want to carry the thing on the plane (not USE it on the plane), but I don't have time to fight with them this trip, I'll chaulk it up as lesson learned and try to be smarter next time.

THANKS!
Jim
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,316 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 76 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 615 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,446 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 620 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 1 168 03-02-2024, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 331 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.