Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

When is it safe to use nasal pillows with a cold?
When is it safe to use nasal pillows with a cold?
Hi everyone,
I wasn't able to use my cpap and nasal pillows last night because of a stuffy nose, major cold. Can't use it tonight either as I still can't beathe through my nose. I assume I have to wait until the nose conjestion is totally gone?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: When is it safe to use nasal pillows with a cold?
I use it despite the stuffiness. The air will push the congestion away. In the morning, you may have some post nasal drip to cough up but it's well worth the price for a good night's sleep! Give it a try!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use Neilmed sinus rinse (squeeze bottle) works great with stuffy nose combined with cpap filtered humidified air
[Image: srrp_aus.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
Like Paula, I would never even consider sleeping without the mask! And I've used the Neilmed sinus rinses every day since my polyp removal surgery last year. It works wonders on stuffy noses and blocked sinus passages.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
The CPAP keeps the air flowing through the nose and opens up the stuffiness. You my need to blow your nose first to get things partially open but the CPAP does the rest.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yup. Try the NeilMed sinus rinse. Gross at first as all that crud flushes out into the sink, but I'd rather have it there than inside my nose.

I did this long before I ever used a CPAP and it keeps my nose cleared out whenever I have a cold or congestion.

Like others said, the CPAP machine also helps keep the nasal passages open.

If you still can't breathe through your nose after all that you need to see a good ENT to find out what's wrong.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can only echo praise for the Neilmed rinses. I have a lot of sinus problems and these rinses are a huge relief.

Post Reply Post Reply
Information 
Many thanks to those of you who responded. I remembered I had Afrin Spary so used it the past 2 nights. (You can't use it more than 3 days.) It helped lots with the congestion so I got back on my cpap with no problems. Started antibiotic yesterday since the congestion went to my chest. Plan to buy a nasal rinse so I always have it on hand. I was honestly afraid that no cpap air would get through my nose since the congestion was so thick. I couldn't breathe through my nose at all. And, my chin strap works so well that I knew I wouldnt mouth breathe. But...now I know what to do next time. I never want to go without my cpap again!!
Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
full face mask is a good idea to have on standby but I've not figured out a way to stop it leaking
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 250 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 347 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 364 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [Equipment] Are the Replacements Safe Keesh23 0 163 02-02-2024, 12:51 AM
Last Post: Keesh23
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 902 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 462 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 839 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.