Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fighting the urge to nap
Fighting the urge to nap
So I'm not a napper. I always hated the way I felt after a nap. Even after finally getting a CPAP, I still just can't do it. Unless a medication has me totally wiped, I just don't nap. Which brings me to October, some of November, and now.

I typically go to bed around 2, get up around 10. That varies widely. Always has.
I have the dx of OSA with the side benefit of pressure induced CSA.
I have been at the current pressure a very long time.
My OA index is always the highest with the CA index ranging from 0 to 1 or so. Rarely is the CA higher.

In October I started nodding off every afternoon between 2ish and 4ish. I rarely gave in and napped. I was giving myself whiplash nodding my head. I don't mean just "golly gee, I could take a nap!" but actually falling asleep playing an action game. This was completely out of character. No medication change, nothing. Then, it seemed to pass and I was staying awake all day. Then it came back a few weeks later, went away, and is back again.

The only difference I see in the data is during the time I was greatly desiring naps, my AHI climbed slightly (never over 5, mostly in the 3s). But the biggest difference is the CA index increased to the point it surpassed the OA. One day it alone was just under 3.

So my question is: if my AHI is still under 5, if the primary change is an increase in central events, why am I craving a nap? Or is the slight increase in the AHI overall the main cause?

Attached is the 6mos overview to show the increase as well as the "wave" for the past few months.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fighting the urge to nap
I agree, it doesn't look as good as it used to.  Maybe now is a good time to tune up your settings?

I feel like one thing that has changed is the weather and hours of sunlight.  Are you perhaps getting less exercise and sunshine outdoors due to cold weather?  Do you ever get SADS?  What about changes in diet?  The only time I feel an urge to nap is after I've eaten too much fat or carbs, or just a larger meal than usual.

Good luck, this nodding off is not a pleasant feeling.
Post Reply Post Reply
Napping may be the more natural thing to do. Our bodies change as we age. Always have.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I agree, it doesn't look as good as it used to. Maybe now is a good time to tune up your settings?

I feel like one thing that has changed is the weather and hours of sunlight. Are you perhaps getting less exercise and sunshine outdoors due to cold weather? Do you ever get SADS?  What about changes in diet? The only time I feel an urge to nap is after I've eaten too much fat or carbs, or just a larger meal than usual.

No changes. Nothing in food or medication. I am fighting depression but that's nothing new either. I started nodding off again today at about 3 so we're keeping a mental list of what I may or may not be doing differently. As for the settings, I'm already maxed out at 20. I considered lowering it to 18 soon. Maybe go 14-18.

Quote:Napping may be the more natural thing to do. Our bodies change as we age. Always have.

Hey, I'm just a baby! I'm just (doing math) 57!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Chaos58503 Therapy Thread Fighting Positional OA chaos58503 17 1,379 01-16-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: chaos58503
  Fighting With My CPAP GotMojo 3 506 12-30-2022, 09:49 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [CPAP] 2 years on and still fighting with machine MJE61 2 643 03-05-2021, 08:28 PM
Last Post: MJE61
  Using CPAP while fighting off a cold or flue AlwaysTired2018 5 898 09-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Fighting with Insurance Company theMezz 5 1,583 09-08-2018, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] Fighting with CPAP Beekay 19 4,941 07-29-2015, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Beekay
Question First time to forum, but been fighting sleep apnea for 2.5 years 69developer 15 5,498 06-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Last Post: vsheline

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.