Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does yawning in the mask affect anything?
Does yawning in the mask affect anything?
Hi, I am a new member and new to Cpap. Sorry if this is a silly question, but I was just wondering if yawning in a full face mask affects anything with regard to either the function of the machine or the results/interpretation of data?  

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does yawning in the mask affect anything?
For me the only thing it does is disrupt the seal if the yawn opens my mouth too wide.
Post Reply Post Reply
+1 If I open my mouth too wide to yawn, I end up with the lower seal in my mouth but I have to open my mouth *really* wide. Not too great for leakage.

Best Regard,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I just wondered if it counted as an event.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Eileens,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Only if you yawn for more than 10 seconds. The machine will detect an open airway, it should detect you are breathing in, so even at more than 10 secs, I doubt it would show as an event.

Test it out. Set it up. Put on mask. Wait a few minutes. Then Yawn. wait a bit. cough. wait a bit. fake a sneeze. wait a bit. Do whatever else you want to see what it looks like on a graph. Do each several times too. Write down the order you did everything, just so you remember.

Then go look at it on SleepyHead.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I find that yawning will send pressure up my Eustachian tubes, resulting in discomfort in my ears. I need to switch off then yawn / swallow a couple of times to clear the pressure in my ears.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll Ditto the pressuring into the inner ear and Eustachian tubes. Had my right ear equalize quite loudly once afterwards.

Since I'm on ASV (auto shocking version...Just kidding) I avoid yawning into the machine. I have trouble with the right ear anyway. I've got a slight hole that can leak air if I blow my nose too hard. Classmate in 4th grade smacked that ear, rupturing the eardrum. Good thing the ASV pressure doesn't make it though the eardrum hole I guess.  Blowing-nose Loco Whistle
Coffee Laugh-a-lot
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, everyone!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do mask types affect xpaps rise in eye pressure? Happyeyes 4 403 01-12-2024, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,685 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Does Slimline vs Standard vs 3m Tubing Affect AirCurve 10 Response Time? KeepSmiling 2 1,025 11-15-2022, 01:40 PM
Last Post: KeepSmiling
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,352 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Why would cushion size affect how well I breathe? theredheadsaid 14 1,481 07-29-2022, 07:51 PM
Last Post: theredheadsaid
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,945 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Health] Does a glass of wine affect sleep? lukazi 8 936 03-06-2022, 06:50 PM
Last Post: StratCat48

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.