Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Therapy Questions, EPR, CA, Low O2
RE: EPR question
If the purpose is to prove that you do not need a CPAP and that you are "cured" I agree.
I couldn't go several nights without my machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2019, 09:27 PM)Dormeo Wrote: I’ve read several times on the forum that it is best to stop PAP therapy for several nights before going in for a sleep test, lest there be a kind of hold-over effect. I hope someone who knows about this can comment.

Oh, gosh, I hope someone does address that because I have only three nights before my second sleep test!  Thanks for bringing that up.  Anyone have an answer to that??
"Freedom is the oxygen of the soul."
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2019, 09:33 PM)bonjour Wrote: If the purpose is to prove that you do not need a CPAP and that you are "cured" I agree.
I couldn't go several nights without my machine.

No, the purpose is to have my new sleep test without any residual benefit from my 4 years of CPAP therapy.
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
Stop CPAP before new sleep test?
Since this is a new subject that came up on my EPR thread, I wanted to put the question up front and center on a new thread.  I am having a second sleep test on Aug. 14 and the question is whether one should stop their current therapy a few nights prior to the new test?  I stopped it last night and yes, I did miss it, but wanted to be as close to natural as possible before my test on Wednesday.  Any thoughts out there? 
Oh-jeez
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Stop CPAP before new sleep test?
I just had my fifth sleep test and my doctor has never asked me to stop therapy beforehand. Your current condition is what it is, I can’t imagine using pressure support the night before having an impact. If in doubt, ask your doctor, or the lab performing the sleep test.
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know what you should do, but when I was talking to someone at my sleep center last week, she mentioned they asked their patients to stop therapy a few days before a followup study, because (she claimed) it somehow impacted the results.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had at least 6 overnight sleep studies, and have always continued to use my PAP prior to having an overnight sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply
As I said earlier, If you are taking the sleep test to see if you are Apnea free, then stop a few days before, otherwise I wouldn't bother.
Post Reply Post Reply
So far, my experience has been that when I somehow sleep without my apparatus in place, I immediately revert to pre-PAP behaviours.  Soring, stopping breathing.  This happens, for example, during naps where I fall asleep on the couch (which I seldom do).

My point is that, if a person has apnea,...………………………………………………………………………………...she has apnea.  Period.  Stopping PAP treatment in advance of a diagnostic is NOT the same as stopping to take blood thinners or some other medication in advance of a diagnostic or surgery.  You will immediately revert to apnea events.  I don't see why that could be called salutary. So, no, I would not recommend suspending PAP therapy prior to a lab sleep study. 

I would love to be convinced that I'm wrong if I am wrong.  Better to learn something than to live in ignorance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses.  I even researched the Internet, but really this issue has no definitive answer, so will go with my gut.  I asked my doctor for the new sleep test because of having pretty low oxygen levels during my first sleep test 4 years ago.  It got down to 70% before titration and 78% after titration.  No one had suggested oxygen therapy so I want to see what a second test reveals on the oxygen and other associated issues.
Moshe Dayan
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [CPAP] TPoc's Therapy Thread TPoc 17 415 56 minutes ago
Last Post: TPoc
  Juniper's questions juniper 79 1,320 1 hour ago
Last Post: stevew168
  [Equipment] Therapy Thread and machine questions - unadvisedfun unadvisedfun 0 26 3 hours ago
Last Post: unadvisedfun
  NewlyDiagnosed therapy thread NewlyDiagnosed 43 936 Today, 07:58 AM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  [Treatment] flyinnerd - Therapy Help flyinnerd 10 247 Yesterday, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Tbrock8905 - Therapy Thread Tbrock8905 20 220 Yesterday, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Second attemp at therapy Jonkier 19 628 05-07-2024, 11:36 PM
Last Post: Jonkier

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.