Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: Respronics
CPAP Pressure: 17 -20
CPAP Software: EncorePro

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
RE: Airplane Cpap Charge
(01-30-2013 07:24 AM)wilorg Wrote:  Glad you liked Switzerland. I spent a winter once in Hallendale (did I spell it right? It was 1976 so I may no longer know how to spell it) and enjoyed it immensely - Disnyworld was also very interesting, but I was put off by the long line ups for everything.

We went to Zermott and the Matterhorn, a carving museum plus more places. There is a Hallandale Florida between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale so your spelling is close. I am not a good speller (no phonics in my school).

I am not taking any batteries with me but I am a little cautious with big lithium-ion batteries anyway. One ignited on the new Boeing Plane that is now grounded . I fly RC Airplanes and have heard of modelers burning their houses down by mis-using them. I can see why airlines would watch them close. I think the newer designs are probably safe if charged properly but I still usually stick with the older style batteries if I can.

I will take a prescription with me in case I need it. The new bag looks interesting.

Our grandson is on the Disney work / study college program now so we are going to visit him. If we go to his house to visit him he is usually upstairs on the computer. It is real easy to like and visit our grandson now especially since he can get us a 60% discount on our room. He put on facebook that he saw Snow White texting. Based on what I have read I think that Sleepy may have sleep apnea so I will try to check him out and get him on Cpap and to post on the apnea board for support. There is always room for a few more characters on the apnea board.

I guess I am ready and in the right mood now for a vacation.
Thanks for the advice
GeneS
01-31-2013 09:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Travel safely, GeneS
01-31-2013 09:58 PM
HoseHead58 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: F&P Opus 360
Humidifier: Heated
CPAP Pressure: 6-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I recently traveled with my CPAP for the first time. Had no issues going through TSA security lines. Placed the CPAP inside of its' case on the conveyor belt and it disappeared and showed up on the other side. They didn't seem to care what it was, but I made sure to empty out the water first because we can't bring water through security. Neither airport seemed to be bothered with it.
02-04-2013 03:17 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Well, just in case you didn't know, removing the water is a good idea not just for security, but so you won't fry your machine when you plug it in. There's no way that water would have stayed where it belonged.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-04-2013 04:03 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

Good point, Paula.

Either way, you won't be allowed to take water in any form on board without special dispensation. They are pretty tough about that. Even with special permits, I had trouble doing that for a special device I was transporting for a medical emergency. Keeping it in the machine, unless the machine has some sort of system to keep the water from spilling into other parts of it, seems to me a bit of overkill. If you are worried about getting distilled water where you are going, pack a 1 litre bottle of it in your checked baggage.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 04:51 PM by DocWils.)
02-04-2013 04:51 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

Gee, you never know. Someone might take the water and start a fire with it!

Smile
02-04-2013 04:53 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

(02-04-2013 04:53 PM)Shastzi Wrote:  Gee, you never know. Someone might take the water and start a fire with it!

Smile

I also thought it was a daft regulation, and sometimes (okay often) thought it was simply to give airport another way to gouge you, but an old buddy of mine flies for Air Canada, and he explained that the level of paranoia in pre-flight security is reasonable - he compared it to me making sure that I checked everything to make sure that my patient is going to go home healthy. "And," he said:"There are a lot more F***ing B*st**ds out there now than there were before."

Quite....
02-04-2013 05:14 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

If you decide to take water in your checked luggage, put that bottle inside a sealed bag! Unless the cargo area has live cargo, it's not going to be heated or cooled. Last thing you want is to land and discover all your clothes are soaked.

If you are that stringent, bottled drinking water would be fine while on vacation. As long as the water is drinkable, you can use it in your humidifier for the short time you are away from home. The hotel concierge can also help you locate distilled water.

Edited to add: you can take water/liquids onto the plane, just not through security. I always get a bottle of water and take it onboard with me. Sometimes I will take a Coca Cola for the caffeine. I will also take a Lunchables if the flight will be long. I get one without the drink or I cut the drink out of the packaging. I freeze it the night before and/or keep in a cooler on the ride to the airport. It almost always is still cold by the time I eat.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-04-2013 05:24 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

(02-04-2013 05:24 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  you can take water/liquids onto the plane, just not through security.

Hence my suspicion that it is another way for airports to gouge you....

I almost always carry a bottle or two of wine, balsamico and/or olive oil with me in my checked baggage when I travel (as well as shampoo, etc) and always triple wrap it in plastic bags and place them in a location in the bag where they are well supported and protected from banging and compression (luckily, I have that type of suitcase). With one exception ( a burst shampoo bottle, due to my not putting it where it should have been and not making sure the lid was correctly closed) all have arrived safely.
02-04-2013 08:20 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Yup. Had the shampoo mess once. But the worst was when I was taking a six pack of Mellow Yellow (Coke's version of Mtn Dew) to my brother. Luckily, they have washers in New Jersey.

There's several companies that sell containers for wine bottles for the luggage. I suppose you could use one of those to hold a container of distilled water.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

02-04-2013 08:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Who generally is in charge of your CPAP settings? Mezzrow 9 483 11-12-2016 01:47 AM
Last Post: blueelement2016
  Battery for Airplane Travel EmilySleeps 5 506 09-16-2016 02:00 PM
Last Post: PoolQ
  S10 data in Airplane mode jimw159 3 323 07-03-2016 07:32 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
Money Seperate charge for integrated humidifier SpeedyD 2 433 02-23-2016 12:00 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  New to CPAP- Questions for someone who wants to take charge of his health. Hermanoscott 7 943 01-14-2016 03:09 AM
Last Post: Diane1048
  Resmed A10 Airplane Mode ON = No Screen Report? player 6 1,047 10-16-2015 06:46 AM
Last Post: player
  Airplane use sumzzzs 3 720 07-25-2015 09:22 PM
Last Post: sumzzzs